BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Bought An 06 Lt And Was Wondering If Anyone Has Installed A Remus Exhaust On Their 05-09 Machine. Did It Make A Difference In Performance? Also, This Soot Thing Coming Out Of The Tail Pipe Seems To Be Getting Under My Skin More Than I Thought It Would. My 99 Rs Never Spit Out Soot Or Smoked When On Its Side Stand Like This 06 Lt Does. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. All My Riding Buddies Have Hd's And I Can Already Feel The Jab's In The Ribs When I Pull Away From The Pumps And We Haven't Been Out Yet. THE RS HAS 65000 MILES ON IT AND THE LT HAS ABOUT 18000 MILES. THANKS IN ADVANCE!! ANOTHER GREAT MOTORAD SITE!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi Ronk, welcome to the site!

I can't comment on the Remus. But, I can on the exhaust. The engine in your K bike has the pistons arranged horizontally and pointing to the left (when seated on the bike). This means that the pistons are facing down hill when the bike is on the sidestand. This can allow a small amount of motor oil to collect in the cylinders. This is what causes the smoking at startup and it is both normal and not a problem in the least. If it bothers you, park on the center stand.

Since you are new on the board, you need to surf around. On the 'Home' page, go to the 'Technical' tab. Look at 'Site FAQ' and 'Hall of Wisdom'... there is much you need to learn about the LT...and most of it is at your fingertips.

I 'm sure someone will pop up with experience regarding Remus!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hold bike upright for a minute or so before putting on sidestand, also could tip it to the right

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
JATownsend said:
Hi Ronk, welcome to the site!

I can't comment on the Remus. But, I can on the exhaust. The engine in your K bike has the pistons arranged horizontally and pointing to the left (when seated on the bike). This means that the pistons are facing down hill when the bike is on the sidestand. This can allow a small amount of motor oil to collect in the cylinders. This is what causes the smoking at startup and it is both normal and not a problem in the least. If it bothers you, park on the center stand.

Since you are new on the board, you need to surf around. On the 'Home' page, go to the 'Technical' tab. Look at 'Site FAQ' and 'Hall of Wisdom'... there is much you need to learn about the LT...and most of it is at your fingertips.

I 'm sure someone will pop up with experience regarding Remus!
Re: smoke on start up. Also, if you just give it a few seconds before hitting the starter button, it gives the oil a chance to drain back into the pan. That will eliminate most of the smoking at start up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The smoke thing is normal if you just shut it off and plop it on the sidestand..Add DDT to your oil and do the mosquitos a favor...The soot is normal the LT runs rich...You need to be blowing that stuff out every now and then....The rev limiter is there for a purpose.. Use it..

Try this. Stop. Put the sidestand down. Disembark your passenger if you have one. .Hold the bike upright... Always leave the bike in first gear ..Hands off the bars... Turn off the key...

Hold the bike upright while you take off your gloves and helmet.. This will give time to allow the oil to drain... Then put it on the sidestand...Twenty or thirty seconds will ensure you don't get a smoke start..If you do and you're with a bunch of Harley riders.. LEAD.....:rotf:

Use the center stand at home or anywhere you can...This will eliminate it..

The exhaust is just going to make the bike louder... Exhaust AND a chip will improve the performance only slightly ... Not enough to justify the expense IMHO...

Very few folks ride the LT to it's potential....Start there..I know a couple of guys in Texas who can show you a thing or two.. If you get there.. Add a Turbo...

Lots of things to learn about your new LT..

John

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Consider riding your LT for a few months before deciding if you want a few more HP.

Run her up to around 7,000 rpm in second a few times before hitting 3rd.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Try this thread for more info.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
RONK12 said:
I Just Bought An 06 Lt And Was Wondering If Anyone Has Installed A Remus Exhaust On Their 05-09 Machine. Did It Make A Difference In Performance? Also, This Soot Thing Coming Out Of The Tail Pipe Seems To Be Getting Under My Skin More Than I Thought It Would. My 99 Rs Never Spit Out Soot Or Smoked When On Its Side Stand Like This 06 Lt Does. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. All My Riding Buddies Have Hd's And I Can Already Feel The Jab's In The Ribs When I Pull Away From The Pumps And We Haven't Been Out Yet. THE RS HAS 65000 MILES ON IT AND THE LT HAS ABOUT 18000 MILES. THANKS IN ADVANCE!! ANOTHER GREAT MOTORAD SITE!!
I can't speak to the Remus, but I can say your keyboard is broken as it seems to capitalize the first letter of every word. You need to ge that fixed.

As to the startup smoke, the easy solution is to use the centerstand. The other solution is a little less convenient, but just hold the bike upright for 30 seconds or so after you shut off the engine and before leaning it over onto the side stand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Voyager said:
I can't speak to the Remus, but I can say your keyboard is broken as it seems to capitalize the first letter of every word. You need to ge that fixed.

As to the startup smoke, the easy solution is to use the centerstand. The other solution is a little less convenient, but just hold the bike upright for 30 seconds or so after you shut off the engine and before leaning it over onto the side stand.
maybe thats the way he types. should'nt be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks For The Replies Folks. I Think I Will Be Able To Keep The Soot Problem Under Control By Running Premium Fuel In It. Still Wondering If Anybody Is Running A Remus Exhaust On Their 05-09 Machine. Thanks Again

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't and won't... for the following reasons:

It's noisy. Ride behind one for a few miles with no radio/sat/MP3/iPod sounds on... it's has a distinctive note. I like my sounds... There is nothing like "Dark Side of the Moon" while whipping thru the twisties. There is no doubt in my mind that my sounds would have to compete with the exhaust note.

Some folks who ride two-up on a Remus machine say that the SO complains about the exhaust note... And we all know that if Momma isn't happy, we are not going to be happy.

Increase in power? It's not gonna get you off the line any better... It may (and I say may) show up once you get the R's up above the 5K range. I have heard that on earlier models, the HP increase was noticeable. On the later models, not as great or noticeable an increase from what I hear.

So... spend money to bother the SO and maybe get better performance increase? Maybe if I had an RT, but not my '06 LT. She's fine right where she sits...

just my $.02...

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If I understand why the oil seeps past the rings when the LT is on it's side, running premium won't effect the blue smoke on start up.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Type of gas will not effect the soot issue either as it is a function of full rich fuel mixture at start up. Just remove it weekly with windex and a tooth brush if it bothers you.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
JPSpen said:
The smoke thing is normal if you just shut it off and plop it on the sidestand..
Try this. Stop. Put the sidestand down. Disembark your passenger if you have one. .Hold the bike upright... Always leave the bike in first gear ..Hands off the bars... Turn off the key...
Hold the bike upright while you take off your gloves and helmet.. This will give time to allow the oil to drain... Then put it on the sidestand...Twenty or thirty seconds will ensure you don't get a smoke start
John
This is the simplest and surest way to not get smoke on startup. Been doing it as stated above for years and (almost) never get smoke..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree it's not a problem. All these riders and all their wisdom the smoke/soot is not for concern. Regular cleaning will avoid a build-up and center stand lay overs should all but get rid of the smoke. Side stand use could accomplish the same result if you care to spend a minute or two holding her upright once the engine is off before kicking that stand to the ground FULLY.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
339 Posts
My bike has a remus exhaust. It had it when I bought it. It's attractive. I like the sound it makes. I have no idea if it improves my performance.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
My 02 has a Remus and I like the different sound. Lets me know when I'm going from around 3,500RPM's to 4,000. A very distinct sound.

I installed it by myself and it was quite easy, once I figured out that a little dab of grease on each copper washer between the pipe and the header would keep it from falling off!

Still get sooty, but a quick wipe of a rag with a little wax or metal polish gets ride of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts