BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to believe I've had my 2002 K1200LT over a year and I'm still trying to get it started! To be honest it hasn't been a top priority again until recently as other things were more pressing. I'll briefly bring all up to speed on my situation. Bike had sat for a number of years before I acquired it. I got some great pointers to get started and have removed fuel tank to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I removed the quick connects from the fuel lines just to make sure they weren't plugged up. Verified fuel lines up to fuel rail are open.

As of now I can absolutely verify that the fuel pump is pressurizing the line (got a face full of gas when removing the line!). The injectors have been sent off and were cleaned/verified. There doesn't appear to be any gas on the spark plugs. I know the bike is firing as just a hint of starting fluid (I know bad idea - I only used a little just to see if it was firing) would get positive results.

So either the injectors aren't injecting or there is some other obstruction in the system. I checked the fuel rail when I removed the injectors and it seemed to be clear.

Any suggestions on how to get this beast going would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
It's hard to believe I've had my 2002 K1200LT over a year and I'm still trying to get it started! To be honest it hasn't been a top priority again until recently as other things were more pressing. I'll briefly bring all up to speed on my situation. Bike had sat for a number of years before I acquired it. I got some great pointers to get started and have removed fuel tank to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I removed the quick connects from the fuel lines just to make sure they weren't plugged up. Verified fuel lines up to fuel rail are open.

As of now I can absolutely verify that the fuel pump is pressurizing the line (got a face full of gas when removing the line!). The injectors have been sent off and were cleaned/verified. There doesn't appear to be any gas on the spark plugs. I know the bike is firing as just a hint of starting fluid (I know bad idea - I only used a little just to see if it was firing) would get positive results.

So either the injectors aren't injecting or there is some other obstruction in the system. I checked the fuel rail when I removed the injectors and it seemed to be clear.

Any suggestions on how to get this beast going would be greatly appreciated.
You are sure the fuel lines are correctly connected? As I recall, the fuel pressure regulator allows fuel to pass in only one direction so if the lines from the tank are reversed when connected to the lines to the fuel rail, you will pressurize the return line, but get no fuel to the injectors. It has been a couple of years since I had my fuel system apart, but this is my recollection. I also don’t recall exactly how the fuel rail connects to the injectors, but I am wondering if you can pull one injector and see if it is getting fuel. Unless there is a valve that the injector opens when it is connected to the fuel rail. I just don’t recall the details now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are sure the fuel lines are correctly connected? As I recall, the fuel pressure regulator allows fuel to pass in only one direction so if the lines from the tank are reversed when connected to the lines to the fuel rail, you will pressurize the return line, but get no fuel to the injectors. It has been a couple of years since I had my fuel system apart, but this is my recollection. I also don’t recall exactly how the fuel rail connects to the injectors, but I am wondering if you can pull one injector and see if it is getting fuel. Unless there is a valve that the injector opens when it is connected to the fuel rail. I just don’t recall the details now.
I just printed Gordon's pic of the lines and will double check that I didn't cross the lines tomorrow. Actually that would be so sweet if that is indeed the problem! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I just printed Gordon's pic of the lines and will double check that I didn't cross the lines tomorrow. Actually that would be so sweet if that is indeed the problem! Thanks.
I'm with Matt, if starting fluid gets any result then your issue is with the fuel delivery and you have taken care of everything else there so reversed fuel lines are very high on the probability list. Hope that is what it is.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Y'all are the best! She's running for the first time in years! :smile: Think the quick disconnect(s) was/were plugged because I couldn't have reversed the lines before taking them out. I thought I was being so careful to make sure I got the lines back like they were but I didn't - give me my sign! What a tremendous relief to hear that motor purr. She's smoking just a little but after all this time not running I would be a little stove up too!

Now I'll be bugging everyone for the rest of the service items I know needs to be done before I can ride her very far.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Y'all are the best! She's running for the first time in years! :smile: Think the quick disconnect(s) was/were plugged because I couldn't have reversed the lines before taking them out. I thought I was being so careful to make sure I got the lines back like they were but I didn't - give me my sign! What a tremendous relief to hear that motor purr. She's smoking just a little but after all this time not running I would be a little stove up too!

Now I'll be bugging everyone for the rest of the service items I know needs to be done before I can ride her very far.

Your next order of business would be the brake lines. If they are still OEM original, even if they look OK, they are an accident waiting to happen just when you need them most so be careful. Don't ride it like you stole it just yet ;)

Not sure if anyone mentioned the plastic disconnects. The male portion will eventually crack and leak fuel all over so another safety related upgrade to the BBY metal ones again, if not done already.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Your next order of business would be the brake lines. If they are still OEM original, even if they look OK, they are an accident waiting to happen just when you need them most so be careful. Don't ride it like you stole it just yet ;)

Not sure if anyone mentioned the plastic disconnects. The male portion will eventually crack and leak fuel all over so another safety related upgrade to the BBY metal ones again, if not done already.
Yes, get metal ones and reverse them on each line so that it isn’t possible to connect them backwards. I prefer the Jiffy-tires over the BBY style, but I think the Jiffy-Tites may no longer be available as I think the owner of RPW retired and it appears the business closed with his retirement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Understand completely. Rear is locked up at the moment and I'm getting ABS failure warning light. I hear the servo running when the key is turned on but I won't be surprised if it's toast since the fluid hasn't been changed in who knows how long.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Understand completely. Rear is locked up at the moment and I'm getting ABS failure warning light. I hear the servo running when the key is turned on but I won't be surprised if it's toast since the fluid hasn't been changed in who knows how long.
Well, we don't have to worry about you riding too far yet then >:)

Look for a rock or some debris causing the rear pedal to be held in the depressed position engaging the servo motor. Also, check the switch on the rear pedal for being stuck or mis-adjusted. I know the rock thing sounds as likely as hitting a deer on a clear day with open highway but i have read several stories about it happening.

Did you notice any mouse or rat lodgings when you had the tank off? possible chewed wires.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we don't have to worry about you riding too far yet then >:)

Look for a rock or some debris causing the rear pedal to be held in the depressed position engaging the servo motor. Also, check the switch on the rear pedal for being stuck or mis-adjusted. I know the rock thing sounds as likely as hitting a deer on a clear day with open highway but i have read several stories about it happening.

Did you notice any mouse or rat lodgings when you had the tank off? possible chewed wires.
Nope riding at all at the moment is out of the question. Guess I'll break down and order Speigler brake lines as it doesn't look like Galfer makes any for my non-Brembo brakes - at least according to the website - might call to make sure.

I'll check for stuck brake pedal but as long as it's been unridden/unloved it's probably gunked up bad. Haven't seen any evidence of mouse/rat visitations which is a pleasant surprise.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Nope riding at all at the moment is out of the question. Guess I'll break down and order Speigler brake lines as it doesn't look like Galfer makes any for my non-Brembo brakes - at least according to the website - might call to make sure.

I'll check for stuck brake pedal but as long as it's been unridden/unloved it's probably gunked up bad. Haven't seen any evidence of mouse/rat visitations which is a pleasant surprise.
Then you can spend the rest of the winter bleeding them! :rotf:

·
Registered
2001 K1200LT
4 Posts

Before you put all the tupperware back on, replace that pesky air filter too.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sometimes the rear caliper seizes up due corrosion. Also put some paint on both ends of one of those quick connects.

Reactions: msgulfcoast

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Paint is a good idea but I think reversing them even better.

Reactions: msgulfcoast
1 - 14 of 14 Posts