BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Could it be my Rhinewest Chip

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Way2Fast 
#1 ·
I had the Rhinewest chip installed at CCR. On the ride back to Reno the day after installing it my bike started overheating when I went over 80 MPH for any length of time. It would get just past the white and I would drop the speed and it would go down. I took it up to San Jose BMW last Wed. night to check an oil leak I am getting on my garage floor. When I got to San Jose the bike was making an awful ticking noise and would not idle right. When I got to SJ BMW it was smoking out the exhaust. Is there something with the Rhinewest chip that would cause the bike to run hotter? I have not heard from San Jose on what is wrong with the bike. Although the bike is under warranty BMW can deny coverage due to the sidecar. I would appreciate any input anyone can give me

#2 ·
There are too many variables involved to be able to diagnose something like this without seeing and hearing it. However, you may be able to rule out some issues based on the color of the smoke.

Is the ticking from the valves or some other part of the engine?

Personally, I think it is a problem not associated with the new chip. It could very well be a coincidence and "bad timing".

Await the diagnose from the dealer and go from there.

Good luck,

Stefan

#3 ·
Way2Fast said:
... making an awful ticking noise and would not idle right. When I got to SJ BMW it was smoking out the exhaust.
The Rhinewest chip "may" make the bike run leaner than it would normally - note - may.

If it was running lean, it would possibly overheat, but not immediately unless VERY lean.

I chipped my K11LT, and it ran nicely for some 5,500 miles, then burnt out an exhaust valve, "shotgunning" the car behind (well, he was too close) with valve debris.

That was actually a faulty valve (from manufacture, so was an issue waiting to happen) that running just that little bit leaner caused to fail over some distance, namely, 5,500 miles.

If the bike has an oil leak - that could be a result of running lean, but personally, I wouldn't have thought so.

To me - sounds more like the oil leak is casuing the bike to over heat, and possibly be on its way to a partial seizure.

You need to bear in mind th elow oil light comes on at very low pressure - I was told that it comes on only a couple of seconds before a seziure - not much use at motorway/freeway speeds.

My 99 LT had a Rhinewest (it had the new ECU fitted because of the hot temperature issue) and so was a "late" chip, not early, but none the less, it ran quite nicely for some 18,000 miles before being removed when I traded in the bike. It didn't run hot at all, not in that distance.

#4 ·
Chip question

If I am reading this correctly, the newer Rhinewest chips do not have a heating problem? I am in SoCal where it can get pretty hot, and if I can ever save enough for the chip and Remus I want to do it. Bike runs hot as it is so this is a concern. Is it not an issue with current chips?

BTW the new site is cool, thanks guys!

#5 ·
PolishS said:
If I am reading this correctly, the newer Rhinewest chips do not have a heating problem? I am in SoCal where it can get pretty hot, and if I can ever save enough for the chip and Remus I want to do it. Bike runs hot as it is so this is a concern. Is it not an issue with current chips?

I've never hear *any* reports of overheating with a RW chip; my bikes never did.

One of the things to check for is whether one of the vacuum hoses has come off the throttle bodies, which would create a vacuum leak/lean condition in at least one cylinder. IIRC, David Shealey's un-chipped bike ended up with detonation and a fractured piston crown/ring groove due to this cause.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. The bike must of been running lean because it never would overheat before fully loaded with 2 kids in the sidecar and SO on the back. I was by myself coming back from CCR. Do you think the vacumn line may of gotten disconnected when the chip was put in? I still haven't heard from the shop yet since it is the weekend. I just pray the warranty covers it.

#8 ·
PolishS said:

I had an 03LT, with RW chip & Remus exhaust, NEVER had overheating problem. Even on the Cross Bronx Expressway, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, with LT O.A. thermometer showing ambient was 124! (summer can get very hot in the Bronx Canyon)
The performance increase with this combination was phenomenal

#10 ·
I doubt it was the chip. I would consider removing it before taking it to the dealer. Might head off a possible problem. Might also check with Rhinewest and see if they have any thoughts on what is going on. It doesn't soound good so don't ride it a lot before you take it in. Might even consider hauling it in. If a major internal engine problem, it will only get worse with running, maybe a lot worse fast.

Let us know how it turns out.

#12 ·
Had a voice mail from San Jose BMW today. The mechanic started on it yesterday but was sick today. The service manager said the compression was bad on the #3 cylinder. I am still thinking the vacumn line might of come off. I was told by Rhinewest that the dealer cannot tell the chip has been added unless they look for it.

#13 ·
I got the news this week. I need a new engine. The number 3 cylinder had cracked rings that put strations in the cylinder wall. They still don't know what caused the bike to overheat. BMW has denied the warranty coverage because of the sidecar. They claim that the sidecar affects the airflow and caused the bike to run hot. I would like to know why the bike ran fine for 17K miles before it started having an overheating problem. Either there is a problem with the radiator or the fans or the Rhinewest chip caused the problem. The overheating started the day after installing the chip. Is it possible some line became disconnected when installing the chip?
I am still discussing the warranty coverage with BMW to see if I can get them to cover the $3K bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.