BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you gotta be honest. I'm 64 and not totally wheel chair bound "yet" and was wondering how many can pick up your bike by yourself? Twice I have had to get a neighbor to help when bike layed on it's side. Admittingly I have been a couch potatoe these last few years and really could stand a little exercise program.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I sold the LT and bought an RT for precisely this reason, worried about dropping in a remote area and not being able to right it. The RT is just as comfortable, 200 lbs lighter and I can pick it up if it drops...which is less likely since its so nimble.

r

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There is a "Technique" to lifting the LT.. If you don't know it.. You're F'd..

Put your butt against the seat.. Handlebar in one hand.. Passenger grab rail in the other..

"Roll" the bike back upright by pushing with your legs...

Think of it as a barrel that you're rolling with your butt against it and your legs doing the work..

I'll bet if you look at the bottom of this post you'll find the link to the video...

Google.. Pick up an LT... or something like that...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
335 Posts
I will be 66 next month and riding my LT is the most strenuous exercise I get, but I believe I can still pick it up by myself. That is just not one of the things that I practice and have been fortunate enough to not have had any unplanned solo pick ups in about the last 4 years. So I guess you could say that I am keeping the faith. My favorite place to drop the LT is in any very public place - embarassment generates a lot of adrenaline to help get 'er done.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Here's the video... Starring our own Fr. John Munson...If you look closely at the very end, He's doing a "Whew" because that was the fourth or fifth time he'd done it in a row...

Having said that.. I got rid of mine because I got tired of having to be "on point" all the time with it at slow speed...

My RT, CLC, GS, R-65 are much easier to ride and upright if something goes wrong..

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPSpen said:
Here's the video... Starring our own Fr. John Munson...

Having said that.. I got rid of mine because I got tired of having to be "on point" all the time with it at slow speed...

My RT, CLC, GS, R-65 are much easier to ride and upright if something goes wrong..

John
Thanks John for that great video! I have learned so much from this forum and it's great members willing to help out! Thanks to all!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ron,
Not trying to be rude, but you may have just gotten too much bike for yourself. There are other bikes that are a lot lighter that you can tour with. With the LT, it is about state of mind. You either worry about all the problems you can have with such a large top heavy bike, or you just get on it and go for it...For me, I chose the latter. I am 63, and dropped the bike once right after I got it, and had to have a girl help me pick it up...I quickly put that behind me...If you think about it, being that the LT is a road bike, not an off road or adventure bike, you will always be on a road or parkinglot and are always going to find someone that can help if the bike falls over..even a girl...The bike is a bit ungainly at first, but the only solution to eliminate the intimidation is to ride, ride, ride..I now think of mine as just a big sport bike. In the famous words from the movie water boy, You can do it!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
casualemt said:
Ron,
Not trying to be rude, but you may have just gotten too much bike for yourself. There are other bikes that are a lot lighter that you can tour with. With the LT, it is about state of mind. You either worry about all the problems you can have with such a large top heavy bike, or you just get on it and go for it...For me, I chose the latter. I am 63, and dropped the bike once right after I got it, and had to have a girl help me pick it up...I quickly put that behind me...If you think about it, being that the LT is a road bike, not an off road or adventure bike, you will always be on a road or parkinglot and are always going to find someone that can help if the bike falls over..even a girl...The bike is a bit ungainly at first, but the only solution to eliminate the intimidation is to ride, ride, ride..I now think of mine as just a big sport bike. In the famous words from the movie water boy, You can do it!!
Well your right about there being other touring bikes more suited to my experience but when I first eyed it I new she was for me. I looked at other bikes but the LT has everything and the reviews were all very good. It's kinda like "should I get a Vega, Pinto or Cadillac?" Hmm I wonder. It's not my first bike, it's just my first bike in a long, long time. Plan on going to Texas, at the end of August, as long as I feel like I'm a confident/safe driver with it. In the mean time I'm going to burn up the hiway's getting some experience with my Caddy!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nothing to picking it up by yourself IF you got your technique down and everything. Go to youtube and you can find a video where a very small lady pops it right back onto its feet. I took a quick look for it but didn't find it so the video might be gone.

The butt in the seat, handle bar , grab rail method is correct. Lay down a sleeping bag, get someone to help you lower it to the ground and pick it up. You will be surprised how easy it is.

Loren

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine has "fallen over" more than my share of times. The worst for me were 1). 1X in the shed and 2). those 3X on gravel. The backwards technique works good when there's A).room and 2).good footing. These experiences were each missing at least one of those key positive elements. It's still all more than worth it to me. Hang in there. We're in this together.... but separately...too bad I couldn't just "be there" to help you pick it up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
RonHolly said:
Well your right about there being other touring bikes more suited to my experience but when I first eyed it I new she was for me. I looked at other bikes but the LT has everything and the reviews were all very good. It's kinda like "should I get a Vega, Pinto or Cadillac?" Hmm I wonder. It's not my first bike, it's just my first bike in a long, long time. Plan on going to Texas, at the end of August, as long as I feel like I'm a confident/safe driver with it. In the mean time I'm going to burn up the hiway's getting some experience with my Caddy!

My first LT was the first bike I had owned in more than 25 years. Prior to buying it, I did have several good rides on a R1200GS that a friend put me on. That was good experience. It helped me get comfortable riding again but when it came time to buy, I had to have the LT. I have never regretted it.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I love my LT. Don't be a couch potato. That'll speed you to the grave faster than Mickey D's at our age. I'm 64 and I plan to be riding a long time yet............. :dance:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tried lifting it just like in the vid but when I felt my feet sinking into the concrete garage floor I hollered UNCLE. Went and got my come-a-long. The frame work for the garage door isn't as straight as it used to be- but I got it up. :dance: -- They need to make an air bag you can slip under and inflate or something. I've always had help in the past and there is always that chance it could happen again in a remote area on a rainy day with no one around but thats not enough to make me part with her.She is just too much fun in a controlled lean and the G's are standing her back up for you.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Dropped her several times...and I always have to think about it...then I pick her up. Now, that I said that...most likely I will have a drop tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
The vast majority of people that aren't successful picking up a heavyweight motorcycle forget to remember the weight is pushed with your legs, not your back and arms. It's important to remember to keep your head and eyes looking straight to the horizon when picking the old girl up. Don't look at the sky or the ground as you can pull a neck muscle if you strain too much.

Rick H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 64, but in good shape. I've never had an issue with dumping my LT and really had no idea how the f... the beast could ever be righted solo.

I returned from an afternoon ride, went to drive the LT onto the dolly that I use to move her around in the garage, and couldn't get the bike on. It turned out that the dolly's "ramp" had apparently flipped up when the front tire hit it and then the rear wouldn't go on. I just figured I'd back off and try again. Unfortunately, the front wouldn't come off and I was dragging the dolly. I got the side stand down and thought I could get off the bike, straighten things out and then ride back onto the dolly. As soon as I started to try to move the dolly, over the bike went.

The video saved my bacon. Sure enough, just plant the old butt in the seat, grab the bar and the saddlebag handle and walk the bike back up. Worked a treat and wasn't even too much effort.

Unfortunately, there is some cosmetic damage, but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish I would of heard of this technique a year ago. I dropped her in a gas station on uneven concrete when my left foot hit a crack in the ground and the bike stopped with my leg bent. I was so embarrassed about dropping in front of people that I got up grabbed on and did a dead lift. Got her up but my back was sore for about a week and my left arm hurt for quite a while. Next time Ill try the way described or swallow my pride and ask for help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Early in my LT experience, I stopped at Rochester Dam. That is the same one that John Prine sings about in his '70's hit song "Paradise", as in "Daddy Won't You Take Me Back To Muhlenberg County". There was one vehicle, a station wagon, in the parking lot but nobody in sight.

I decided that I would just stretch out for a while and was actually reclining on top of the LT, head between the bars and legs over the top case, when she decided to take a nap. And yes, that was a pretty awkward dismount. I had never picked her up by myself before and had never seen the video but had had the technique described to me.

It would have been more embarrassing I thought, if anyone had seen what had happened, but still some things are embarrassing even when there are no witnesses. That was one of them.

So in a flourish, I went about the task, trying to get her righted before anyone saw my predicament. This was not the time to try to figure out "the technique" as I was in a hurry. So in a couple of attempts, trying to muscle her back up, I was able to get pretty close but not securely on the side stand.

I had expended about as much available energy as I dared and reality was sinking in, so I decided to look for help. I still hadn't seen anyone around. I thought that whoever belonged to the station wagon was probably down by the water and I was hoping I would find at least one full grown man. The station wagon was parked right by the pathway down to the water and when I approached it I couldn't help but notice that the back windows were fogged up. Even closer I saw that the car was rocking.

This was not the time to knock on the window and ask for help, so I walked past them, down to the dam and watched the water run by. After a while I went back up to the parking lot. You guessed it, there was a man and a woman and they were out of their car so I asked the man if he would help me.

He didn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish so all I could do was point to my bike, laid over on her side and make some gestures to communicate my need. He finally understood or perhaps finally acknowledged what I was asking. Fortunately he had enough energy left over from his previous exercise to help. When we got her back up on two wheels I was way past ready to get back on the road.

·
Registered
637 Posts
At almost 74, I think I could still get my 2005 K1200LT up by myself. I know I could do it last year. I can't do it grabbing onto the saddlebag & handlebar, but I could by grabbing the rear top box up as high as possible, and the handlebar. Again with my back to the bike.

Is there anyone older still driving a K1200LT? It does make my R1100RT seem like a nice light knock-around-town bike. :dance: :dance:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts