BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm considering a 2000 K1200LT with 60k Miles and I'm wondering what problems I should look for before I buy. I've been told that the mileage shouldn't scary me off, but I'm hoping a few people with ownership expirence can make some worth while suggestions. This would be a private sale.
The tires and brakes look good and the bike sounds good....
Thanks!

Currently riding a Honda VTX1800Tourer

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
1918Bosoxfan said:
Hi,
I'm considering K1200LT with 60k Miles and I'm wondering what problems I should look for before I buy. I've been told that the mileage shouldn't scary me off, but I'm hoping a few people with ownership expirence can make some worth while suggestions. This would be a private sale.
The tires and brakes look good and the bike sounds good....
Thanks!

Currently riding a Honda VTX1800Tourer
Incoming!!! :histerica

Inside joke for us ole Pharts, Robert.

Glad you're on board here. You'll get some good suggestions, answers and opinions shortly - in the meantime, might help folks if they know the model year of your 'intended'!! And you're right - the mileage shouldn't scare you off. You may also consider contacting the dealership that has been involved with the bikes service history and see what they have on record in the way of warranty work, or service appointments. And the previous owner should be able to help out in that regard also.

Good luck with your 'new to you' ride, Robert. Hang around here for the mail to start flowing, and take a tour of the site here - gots about 11 years worth of history on these mo'sickles; some of it in archival format and some just on reading ole threads. Best regards.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Not saying you'll have to, but if you like to do your own wrenching, you'll enjoy the bike. Maintenance (at the dealer) can be pricey - if you do it yourself, you will learn your way around the bike very quickly, and will save a lot of money.

Guys on this site will help. That's what I mean by "if you enjoy wrenching". I have never (knocking on wood) been stranded by the bike - very dependable. I just save about $700 every 12,000 miles by performing my own major maintenance, and also the minor (6k miles) ones as well.

Browse the site, and check out maintenance subjects. Don't worry about the Final Drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick said:
Incoming!!! :histerica

Inside joke for us ole Pharts, Robert.

Glad you're on board here. You'll get some good suggestions, answers and opinions shortly - in the meantime, might help folks if they know the model year of your 'intended'!! And you're right - the mileage shouldn't scare you off. You may also consider contacting the dealership that has been involved with the bikes service history and see what they have on record in the way of warranty work, or service appointments. And the previous owner should be able to help out in that regard also.

Good luck with your 'new to you' ride, Robert. Hang around here for the mail to start flowing, and take a tour of the site here - gots about 11 years worth of history on these mo'sickles; some of it in archival format and some just on reading ole threads. Best regards.

Thanks for the welcome, and I updated the post....

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Welcome. Your question is hard to answer. Sort'a depends on the price, and what it's worth to you. Thanks to a member here, I got what I believe to be a screamin' deal on an '01 with 52K on it. I'm at 80 now, and I've put a bit over a grand into it (clutch, final drive, rear main seal - all done myself). Even with that extra grand, I believe (and what I believe is all that really matters, right?) I'm still sittin' on a bike that was a great buy. Zero regrets. Lots of awesome miles n smiles on her, and plan to keep her for a lot longer.
Luck to ya

Frank

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
This is what I've gone thru with my 00

Added a crash pan
Changed the defective computer chip that causes hesitation
Replaced the defective design start relay. the stock one would weld closed under low voltage condition.
Modified the stock speedo to indicate actual speed. By design the stock speed reads around 10% faster than actual speed. The odometer is accurate.
Replaced the throttle cables. Stock one could be stiff
Replaced the rear brake disc. The stock ones squeeeeaaaaald.
Replaced the stock brake lines with Spiegler's. The stock ones will spring a leak.
Just replaced the front and rear stock shocks with after market ones. Stock shocks are shot around 22K miles.
Drilled a hole in the clutch housing so that the leaking rear main seal oil will drain. Carefully check the the bell housing bottom seam for any sign of oil. Check the inside of the trany crash pan for any indication of oily dirt-sand.

Plan on replacing the low beam with a HID light
The clutch lever should engage, disengage the clutch mid travel, or closer to the handle bars.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
BecketMa said:
This is what I've gone thru with my 00

Drilled a hole in the clutch housing so that the leaking rear main seal oil will drain. Best from Tucson
Bob,

Did you take the clutch housing off to drill the hole? I've thought about doing this, but I was concerned with shavings inside the housing.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Read all about the LT on this board but don't get scared off by all the problems you see in the posts. I read up on it for almost a year and almost got scared off. Far more goes right Whit these BMWs than goes wrong. It does take a considerable $ or time for maintenance and many will do it themselves to save. When you go to buy see if you can get someone near you to take a look at it with you.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Same experience as Michael. Came thiiiiiiiis close to not getting the LT after spending a few hrs on this site.

I'm very glad I took the plunge. Nothing quite like the sound and feel of riding in the twisties while bumping up against the rev limiter.

Yee haw!

Loren

mwnahas said:
Read all about the LT on this board but don't get scared off by all the problems you see in the posts. I read up on it for almost a year and almost got scared off. Far more goes right Whit these BMWs than goes wrong. It does take a considerable $ or time for maintenance and many will do it themselves to save. When you go to buy see if you can get someone near you to take a look at it with you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like a beautiful woman it will put a dent in your walet and give you a great ride. You will find it is well worth it with one up side...you can leave it in the garage when it gets cranky. :wave

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like you, I'm brand new here. I just bought a '99 with 92K miles on it and didn't think twice about making the purchase. My unit had some rear drive history which the previous owner dealt with and had documented fully to me when I bought the bike. But then, he'd ridden to Alaska and a lot of other north country destinations, two up,while pulling a tent camper with this bike. So if any scoot was gonna have a few rear drive issues, this was a candidate.

This is hands down the best riding large bike I've ever experienced. If the bike you're considering is in decent shape, the miles alone are no criteria to not get it.

JD

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Robert, welcome aboard, you've come to the right place. The only thing I can add to what the others have said is don't let 60k miles scare you off. That 2000 has many good miles left in her. Check it out real well and get someone to help you with it. Good luck on your decision.

BTW, I had an English Professor at Old Dominion in the 60s with same name as you. Wonder if he may have been a relation. :cool:

Reactions: hannahbusa

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is what I have had to put up with on my 2000 LT...Changed fluids from time to time, added air to the tires, washed it...Oh yea, ride it like I stole it!! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Hi Dan
I followed the suggestion on this site to drill a small hole at the bottom on the clutch housing. Mine has seeped for at least 7 or 8 years.

Might you be thinking of a hole drilled for when the slave cylinder pukes oil into, onto the clutch?

I'm considering asking about having my rear end rebuilt while I'm in New England this summer--a pre emptive strike against having that happen while I am hundreds, thousands of miles from home.

I still plan on turning the odometer well past 100K before thinking about replacing her in the future.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
517 Posts
Good information here and on other areas of the site. I'm sure you'll be directed to the proper areas. I'll just chime in here with my LT experience and purchase of last November.

I was asked to accompany a friend to a BMW shop in Tallahassee where he wanted to purchase a bike. While he test rode the bike, I lurked around a 1999 LT on display there. Boy the Basalt Gray is a pretty color. They wanted me to test ride the bike, but as I had ridden my Goldwing down I let them know right away that I had my bike and didn't need to test ride the LT. I was conveying this to them as they moved a couple of bikes out of the way and backed the LT out into the center of the shop. "Well, I'll ride it but I'm not going to buy another bike", I said as they rolled it out into the parking lot and had the service manager running me through the opperations. I remember Richard saying that it's redlined at 8300 so don't be afraid to run it up. Just as my buddy rolled into the parking lot I was climbing on the LT and we hit I-10 East out of Tallahassee. Holly cow! I couldn't believe the power and balance of the bike and how it rode. Big bike, but about 150 pounds less then the GL, but when you got it rolling, it just started to shed the pounds, started to feel like my KLR650 as far as weight on the highway. We tested it out and it ran like a scalded dog. I wasn't afraid to run it up on the interstate. Take that as you will.

We got back to the shop and they wanted to know how the test ride went. I was honest with them that the 11 year old bike blew me away and was at least the equal in ride and power to the GL. After some minutes of playing back and forth with money... the manager finally says well make me an offer. The bike was in excellent shape, 18,321 miles on the Odo, was just the basic model with no heat or comm or computer. They had a price of $5k on it. I made them an offer of $4,200 IF they would really clean it up and try to buff out a few of the minute scratches AND would do something about the terrible windshield that was crazed and looked as if oil had been smeared on it. "Come over to the computer" the parts manager says. Showed me a ZTecnik windscreen to the tune of $250 and says I'll polish the bike, put this windscreen on it and include the new battery they had to put in to get it cranked for the $4,200. I liked to have done something rude to myself at this point as I'd told the wife just before leaving the house that I would NOT be buying another bike as I had 3 at that time. But this was a deal that I couldn't and didn't refuse.

She was a little quiet for a day or so, but after adding the floorboards and arm rest for her she is ready to roll. She used to ask me to slow down on the GL at about 65 but we regularly get to 75 on the interstate and she seems to be fine.

So great deals are out there and I felt this was one of them. I have about 24k on it now and haven't been on the GL since. You'll love this bike and won't regret the purchase in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
shuster said:
Like a beautiful woman it will put a dent in your walet and give you a great ride. You will find it is well worth it with one up side...you can leave it in the garage when it gets cranky. :wave
And notice the words of encouragement from someone with their avatar is of there K1200LT on a wrecker?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got my '99 two years ago this month and have put over 25,000 miles on it -- mostly commuting in DC traffic.

It it a very versatile bike. Pretty, optioned beyond reality and super comfy for 2 up. It also demands attentive maintenance -- but I save a ton of cash doing that myself. The 12k milage service is very doable if you can read, are patient, can handle a wrench and have a garage. I cheat & watch the Sayegh videos too.

This said, just today, I discovered early signs of a rear main seal failure ($2k ?). Hmmnnnnn... I think I'll bite the bullet & have that done. This bike is worth it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll put myself in the camp of people who've had a serious problem and would buy again. I had a totally random failure of the clutch slave cylinder, which then polluted the clutch disk, and I had to have it replaced. However the daily enjoyment of this bike means I'd still buy it. I've spent some time on a Gold Wing also, and would not buy that. The only other bike in a nearby class that I'd consider was the ST1300.

It is also interesting to note that when I looked at an extended warranty for the bikes I was considering buying, the Gold Wing cost more than the LT. They must think it's less reliable or costs more to fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only problem I have found is "why didn't I buy one sooner" One good ride of my mates LT did it for me, the 18 Wing was up for sale and the search was on. Found a good clean LT in Chester and got it bought asap. The only problems I can think of are;
  • You need long legs
  • Feet get cold on very cold rideouts
  • Screen has a really bad finish (just replace)
  • Fork leg paint finish poor
  • Low beam grim (HID replacement)
To be honest I am really being picky, it is a great ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
07 lt first clutch replaced at 25000 miles. No other repairs at this time. But the numbers below were given to me by mechanic.

12000 mile services 800 - 1000 every time

clutch replacement 1200

abs replacement 2700

drive shaft, part cost 800 - 900

Enjoying the bike, but unless you have VERY deep pockets or are a mechanic, might stay with the Honda.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but just relaying my experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts