BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of various torque setting on the fixed pins and hex nut as well as whether or not to use locktite. I imaging that these settings are also unique to the year and model of the bike that went with this setup. So, I have both an 07 LT and 04 R1150 GS, is there a consensus among the group on this forum? I can imagine that with the number of FD failures there must be some experience on what works best short of following the BMW spec and not prematurely eat up the bearings in these positions.

Thanks in advance,
M

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I have heard of various torque setting on the fixed pins and hex nut as well as whether or not to use locktite. I imaging that these settings are also unique to the year and model of the bike that went with this setup. So, I have both an 07 LT and 04 R1150 GS, is there a consensus among the group on this forum? I can imagine that with the number of FD failures there must be some experience on what works best short of following the BMW spec and not prematurely eat up the bearings in these positions.

Thanks in advance,
M
There is only one correct value for the torque on those parts. Clean and dry 160Nm or 118 Ft Lbs. Should not need locktite with those high values.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordon, always good to check given the various thoughts on how the BMW specs are not right (eg. locktite use) with others saying 150 Nm and 7 to 10 Nm on the stud.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Thanks Gordon, always good to check given the various thoughts on how the BMW specs are not right (eg. locktite use) with others saying 150 Nm and 7 to 10 Nm on the stud.
You said the fixed pins and lock nut on the FD. Those are a high value. The floating bearing journals are a low value. FD to swing arm is 7Nm or 62 in lb.

Swing arm to frame are higher, Clymer page 453

If you don't have one, get one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said the fixed pins and lock nut on the FD. Those are a high value. The floating bearing journals are a low value. FD to swing arm is 7Nm or 62 in lb.

Swing arm to frame are higher, Clymer page 453

If you don't have one, get one.
Got it. We are in sync as the "floating bearing stud" is what I should have referred to it as.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts