BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed the oil in my LT may times. The manual says 3.75 quarts for a full change but my mechanic says its 3.5 quarts, Yes I know there is a sight window and the oil should be in the middle but mine is hard to see with fresh oil. What amount is correct I would rather measure it. :confused:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
High_Plains_Drifter said:
I have changed the oil in my LT may times. The manual says 3.75 quarts for a full change but my mechanic says its 3.5 quarts, Yes I know there is a sight window and the oil should be in the middle but mine is hard to see with fresh oil. What amount is correct I would rather measure it. :confused:
You both are prolly right to some degree. If you look hard enough through the manual; thru the tech booklet; and thru some hardened info on this site, you'll find amounts ranging from 3.5 qts to 4 qts. I've always use the spec booklet and measure out the listed 3.8 qts when doing an engine oil change (that includes changing out the filter). Ole Toad's sight glass is difficult to read also, so I'm like you - just measure. It's easy to do when I use the measuring/filler tool shown below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
High_Plains_Drifter said:
Due to time constraints, the average shop mechanic will not do the following;
1st off I clean the sump out, blow out w/ compressed air and wipe inside with a CLEAN rag, rock back and forth. I try to do this and wait an hour or so and repeat.
The specs are for a NEW DRY engine, unobtainable once in service.
Add some oil into the new filter, put back together and start with 3 qts.
Start Engine let run a minute or so.
Shut off and let set for 5 minutes while on THE CENTER STAND.
Adjust the oil level to about 3/4 - 7/8 full.
My LT takes Exactly 3.5 qts. using thin method. HTH

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I just put 3.5 quarts in it, start it, and run it till the next oil change. I use the left over 1/2 quart of oil towards the next oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts