BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LT is such a sporty looking bike. Does any one else find that they have to take corners relatively slow to keep the center stand, side stand, shift lever and whatever from scraping asphalt? I have the 2000 stock rear shock with the adjuster set all the way hard. I'd rather not make the bike any taller at all. Who out there has any input for me?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have an '05 with EHCS and I ride 2-up a lot. I found I scraped both sides pretty easily so I can advise as follows - Side stand, cut the rubber bump stop back by half to allow it to retract higher up under the bike, then trim off as much of the foot on the lower edge as possible. It should be possible to see the scrape pattern, cut parallel to it with a disc grider and cutting wheel. On the right side look at the side of the centre stand leg, on the foot you should see the scrape mark, take to it with the grinder and trim back as close to the support leg weld as possible. Check if the manual centre stand has a bump stop, it may be possible to trim it back a bit. Next to scrape will be the pegs, so if the bike is sitting lower than stock due to spring sag etc there's not much more that can be done without setting the bike higher.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Howdy neighbor (sort of). I didn't know that there were any corners in Braidwood! :D

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Also, you could try topping up the oil in the rear shock pre-load, clicky for instructions, but if that doesn't help, then a new set of shocks will do wonders, not cheap but makes it a different bike.
Wilbers, Ohlins... search is your friend.

Oh, and if you stop taking corners slowly, you'll grind off the problem bits that give you most grief... a track day is good for that... :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't worry about the scraping on the asphalt, wont do any harm accept your Butend twitch. After almost 10 Years LT riding is not much left of the CS foot but this has no influence of riding this machine hard.

Manfred

·
Registered
478 Posts
yup try to refill the preloader. but prob, needs some spring work made all the diffrence in my 2002 i went hyperpro springs only made a big diffrence. my springs only had 15K on them at the time. spring height does not change but the bike does sit a little taller no sag. but feels a lot better in the corners when rideing 2 up without being rough the bike is still smooth as ever

·
Registered
112 Posts
After 25K+ on my 02, the center stand's feet have two nicely matches 45' angles almost to the base welds. I figure it will stop grinding "some day". Just ride it like you stole it. You are not going to hurt anything under there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the floorboards and they are the first to hit, what surprises me is they are mounted rigid. My X has boards too but they are hinged. I can lean it over and they scrape and then continue to lean it as they just lift up with the lean, no problems. Tried the same with the LT and the boards levered the wheels right off the ground. They severely restrict the cornering ability. Anything rigid that is grinding is removing weight from the wheels.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've pretty much scraped the ends off my foot peg's and not once have ever had the center stand drag, like others have said its likely your shocks are a bit tired. Could be the spring is weak or the line going to the adjuster has swelled a bit over time.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
add some oil to the adjuster...$.15 of oil can make a huge difference...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Shocks, shocks, shocks. I put hyperpro's on and the bike is like on rails. Broke center twice already, now no issues. But the right footpeg is always scraping. Also if you turn quicker not slower you wont hit or as hard as early.
We dont have many curves in florida, or none. BUT the ones we do are usually wide long sweepers.
I can hit some them at 80 now without even trying. The new shocks are worth every $$$.

Zeke

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K100Dennis said:
I have an '05 with EHCS and I ride 2-up a lot. I found I scraped both sides pretty easily so I can advise as follows - Side stand, cut the rubber bump stop back by half to allow it to retract higher up under the bike, then trim off as much of the foot on the lower edge as possible. It should be possible to see the scrape pattern, cut parallel to it with a disc grider and cutting wheel. On the right side look at the side of the centre stand leg, on the foot you should see the scrape mark, take to it with the grinder and trim back as close to the support leg weld as possible. Check if the manual centre stand has a bump stop, it may be possible to trim it back a bit. Next to scrape will be the pegs, so if the bike is sitting lower than stock due to spring sag etc there's not much more that can be done without setting the bike higher.
Thanks for the advice. It sounds really good. Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kk610lt said:
Howdy neighbor (sort of). I didn't know that there were any corners in Braidwood! :D
Highway on and off ramps are my best chance to spread its wings.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
agree with new shocks put wilbers racing shocks on huge difference. :) :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Try leaning your body into the curve more, it causes the bike to be a little more upright and reduces scraping, also do the oil in the rear adjuster...

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Well, if you're dragging the pegs you still have room. It ain't bottomed out until you start grinding down the lower body work. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, my '05 has that marking too, the next to scrape is the outer tip of the brake pedal. I trimmed mine back with the grinder & cut-off wheel. Any more lean than this and I think the next to scrape may be my ass (on the tar) ! Important to keep the head up when riding the big girl in this mode as you're taking up a fair bit of your lane.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
K100Dennis said:
Yes, my '05 has that marking too, the next to scrape is the outer tip of the brake pedal. I trimmed mine back with the grinder & cut-off wheel. Any more lean than this and I think the next to scrape may be my ass (on the tar) ! Important to keep the head up when riding the big girl in this mode as you're taking up a fair bit of your lane.
Ha Ha. Yup, I got that as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts