BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew my rear tire {Metzler} was getting worn and when I got to work today I noticed about a quarter size spot of white cord showing. I have 13 miles home and another 25 to the dealers and don't know if I should risk the ride or trailer it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The rear tire assembly is easy to remove from the bike. Any chance you can leave the bike safely overnight and take the old tire and rim with you for replacement tomorrow?
nucguard63 said:
I knew my rear tire {Metzler} was getting worn and when I got to work today I noticed about a quarter size spot of white cord showing. I have 13 miles home and another 25 to the dealers and don't know if I should risk the ride or trailer it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would say that the tire is probably safe, if the roads are dry.

Some might say do not risk it, but I am sure you have had this for the last 300-400+ miles, another 50 should not kill ya.

Do you have a tire pressure monitor on the tires? If so watch the TPMS closely.

BUT do what you think is safe, it is your ASS on the bike, not anyone on the forums.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
13 miles, based on the size you reported, I would drive very slowly, no freeway speeds and nurse it home, may take 1/2 hour longer, drive safe use your best judgement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the advise. Since I have mostly secondary roads home and 35 mph won't be a problem, I'll limp her home and remove the rear wheel and take to dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts