BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to think of a way to get rid of the tank bag but still have "stuff" handy rather than confined to a pannier, and the Corbin Smuggler looks like it might be an option. Anyone have one or thoughts pro/con? I think I'd also like a small rack that could mount to the lid to replace the cargo net I have across the pillion seat.

Thanks, all.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on my Triumphs Trophy 1200, it was very hard, not very comfortable.
I have heard others say the same thing about Corbin seats. At $799.00, (heated seat), that is pretty expensive. Try one out first, if you can.

I would recommend smaller tank bag if the BMW bag is too large. I would rather ride without the tank bag, but it is handy. On long trips I carry a Digital SLR with a 300mm lens, and it is easy to get to, from the tank bag.

Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Not sure Mick understands what a smuggler is. I am not familiar with the one they make for the RT but I have had one on my LT for several years. I never ceased to be amazed at how much stuff I am able to fit int that odd shaped contraption. I have recently been contemplating a rack for the top of mine as well and will be interested if others have successfully done this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
I looked at a used one, but the price was still too much for this cheap bastid'. I did not like the fact that I could not put anything on top w/o possibly scratching the beauty. Looked really nice though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I have seen a number of Corbin Smuggler seats. I believe Corbin got the idea for them from a similar set-up that Dunstall had for one of their seats, but on that one, the storage was at the end of a duel seat, and not anywhere near as large. I believe it was marketed as a "tool box seat".
The tank bag is not the best looking accessory, but it is convenient.

Mick

jeffklt said:
Not sure Mick understands what a smuggler is. I am not familiar with the one they make for the RT but I have had one on my LT for several years. I never ceased to be amazed at how much stuff I am able to fit int that odd shaped contraption. I have recently been contemplating a rack for the top of mine as well and will be interested if others have successfully done this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all. I probably should have been more specific. I use a Touratech Flat Tank Bag specifically because it's smaller than most anything else I've seen. But, it hits the handlebars when they're hard over to the left in that it changes the station (factory radio controller) and blasts the horn - very embarrassing when I'm trying to sneak into a parking spot. I've tried cutting down the plastic side stiffener in the bag, installing velcro straps to pull the sides down, I put in bar-backs (not for this purpose, but it helped). So I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel for everyday riding and do something else, and keep the tank bag for longer trips.

Anyhow, all your suggestions are helpful. I too am sort of appalled at the cost that Corbin wants for one of these things, but I guess having a roundel on your bike is just like having a three-pointed star on your car - people start seeing Ka-ching when you drive up.

BTW, you guys in the midwest - hate to hear what you're going through today, my sympathies (really - I have family in southern Wisconsin). Right now we're mid-50's, sunshine and good visibility here in the SF Bay Area. I'm ready to play hooky from work and head home the long way. OTOH, we could get an earthquake any minute and fall into the ocean.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
JayJay said:
Thanks, all. I probably should have been more specific. I use a Touratech Flat Tank Bag specifically because it's smaller than most anything else I've seen. But, it hits the handlebars when they're hard over to the left in that it changes the station (factory radio controller) and blasts the horn - very embarrassing when I'm trying to sneak into a parking spot. I've tried cutting down the plastic side stiffener in the bag, installing velcro straps to pull the sides down, I put in bar-backs (not for this purpose, but it helped). So I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel for everyday riding and do something else, and keep the tank bag for longer trips.

Anyhow, all your suggestions are helpful. I too am sort of appalled at the cost that Corbin wants for one of these things, but I guess having a roundel on your bike is just like having a three-pointed star on your car - people start seeing Ka-ching when you drive up.

BTW, you guys in the midwest - hate to hear what you're going through today, my sympathies (really - I have family in southern Wisconsin). Right now we're mid-50's, sunshine and good visibility here in the SF Bay Area. I'm ready to play hooky from work and head home the long way. OTOH, we could get an earthquake any minute and fall into the ocean.

JayJay

I will trade you your earth quake and 50 degrees for our really solid, (frozen solid) ground and 5 feet of snow!

Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you will have to take our $20B+ budget deficit and totally dysfunctional state government with it. May not be such a good trade ...

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
JayJay said:
Well, you will have to take our $20B+ budget deficit and totally dysfunctional state government with it. May not be such a good trade ...

JayJay
Not to mention governor moonbeam and 20 million other lunatics. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Have you considered a handlebar bag? I just got one from Wunderlich and I believe Tourtech might have one as well. It mounts on the handlebars and can hold small camera, glasses, garage door opener, candy, park passes, wallet, but all of these things at once. Nice alternative to the tank bag for small items.

Bob Wood

Enjoying the 70 degree weather in San Diego (along with 250,000 other drivers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
BeemerBob said:
Have you considered a handlebar bag? I just got one from Wunderlich and I believe Tourtech might have one as well. It mounts on the handlebars and can hold small camera, glasses, garage door opener, candy, park passes, wallet, but all of these things at once. Nice alternative to the tank bag for small items.

Bob Wood

Enjoying the 70 degree weather in San Diego (along with 250,000 other drivers).
I've used the handlebar bag for over a year now. Most useful, for bunging small stuff in.
\v/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Good morning. I think $1398.00 is a little over the top, BUT it does look nice. If I did not bring the wife me at least a few times a month I would conceder it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I have one and it works well, BUT
* The lid is very weak and thin and will not take any sort of rack or "stuf" on top or it will break.
* I fitted some of that paint protector film on it as I always seem to rub my boot on it when getting on and off.
* Where I used to be able to just bungy stuff on the pillion seat without a thought I now have to think about how bring things home. Eg if I have a delievry at work to bring home that does not fit in the panniers or top box.
* You cannot fit a stock OEM BMW lock so you have to add another d*m key onto your keyring! - For the price I think it should have been designed to take a BMW lock.
* The colour match was poor and it arrived damaged due to bad packing. It took Corbin 10 months NOT to make any sort of offer to fix this. However the UK importers did sell it to me a reasonable reduction after we both gave waiting for Corbin to reply!!
* The idea and product are good, the design is OK (other than the lock), the comapny that make it will not be getting my future business!

If you can get one second hand then I would say go for it.

PS - Did I mention it took over 8 months and 3 "it is in the next shipment to the UK" to actually arrive (damaged!)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
When I looked at thier website (It has been awhile) it seemd as though the Smuggler only works if you have a Corbin Driver's seat? T or F?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, all, thanks for the feedback. Sorry I let it drop, I've been on travel and not paying attention to the forum. I'm on business in the Black Hills of South Dakota right now. After starting yesterday morning at about -17F it's up to +25F (last time I looked). I was here last August during Sturgis week and things sure are a lot different! There's about 4 feet of really light, fluffy cold snow on the ground. Quite a contrast - last Sunday before the Stupid Bowl it was in the high 60's in California and I was mowing my lawn in my shirtsleeves and looking at the daffodils poking up. Monday I flew into a snowstorm. I can certainly empathize with you folks in the midwest.

Anyhow - I emailed Corbin last week and asked them if the Smuggler would work with a standard BMW seat. No reply yet. Have to try again.

Good idea on the handlebar bag. Don't know if it would hold all the c**p I carry with me - phone and charger (I'm still tethered to a Blackberry and it's big!), log book, glasses, sunscreen, chapstick, yada, yada.

And yeah, adding a fourth key to the keyring isn't my idea of great (ignition, disc lock, helmet lock already).

But, it gives something to occupy my thoughts waiting to get home and on the bike.

Thanks again.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
davell said:
I have a Corbin Smuggler for my 2006 R1200RT. It is for sale - make an offer, if you desire. I don't use it too much anymore.

Thanks,

Dave Long
[email protected]
I could have got the one I looked at color matched(to a point) with my Blue 08' for $450. Am I close? :wave
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top