BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any problems with using 1/2 copper pipe instead of 3/8 ? I am having a hard time finding 3/8 and have a pile 1/2 any for the homemade version . I got her tore down and plan on doing hoses, rubber sleeves, O rings that go under the sleeves, go O rings for the injectors, gas lines . Am I missing anything else that should be done in there? Thanks for help

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Viking True Value Hardware, Ace will have 3/8" copper tubing (not pipe). They may have pipe work house work but tubing will work just fine and is easier to work with.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I made mine out of an aluminum block and used individual rubber hoses. Works great. There are pictures in the archives.

Robert

·
Registered
4,257 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
FWIW I pressure tested my breather on my first clutch job (50 K) and found a crack at the junction of the main body to the breather port (red circle). I cleaned it up and held it open while I applied Black Auto door seal adhesive. Let it cure and rechecked and there was no more leaks. I just rechecked the breather while I have the cylinder head off for a re-ring and found no leaks (110 K). How bad are the ones everyone is replacing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Has anybody had any problems with using 1/2 copper pipe instead of 3/8 ?
...Thanks for help
I used half inch copper pipe and soldered brass hose fittings for the individual manifolds. I had an oily mess and rough idle which disappeared after replacing the breather tube which was cracked in multiple places when I purchased the KLT with 47k miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
FWIW I pressure tested my breather on my first clutch job (50 K) and found a crack at the junction of the main body to the breather port (red circle). I cleaned it up and held it open while I applied Black Auto door seal adhesive. Let it cure and rechecked and there was no more leaks. I just rechecked the breather while I have the cylinder head off for a re-ring and found no leaks (110 K). How bad are the ones everyone is replacing?
Mine was cracked around the 4 hose nipples on the cross tube. I still have it and will look for better pictures as this is the only one I have that shows the cracks. I think 3 of the 4 but would have to find it again to be sure.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts