BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with a 5 day ride in west Texas and had a chance to use my evaporative cooling vest. Temps were in the mid 80's in the mountains and well over 100 in the low country. I bought this vest at the BMW shop before the trip for about $40. Don't remember the brand but it's gray on the outside and blue on the inside.

Here's my observation:

These vests work great in a hot, arid environment such as west Texas in the summer. In fact, when I first soaked it down and put it on, I got a little chill. It was very cool.

When the temps were in the mid 90's, the vest kept me cool for about 3+ hrs. When it hit 100, only good for about an hour and a half before I had to soak it down again. The water was just evaporating that fast, but I was comfy for that time.

If you live in a humid location, forget it. You'll just be wet and hot. The water must evaporate to produce a cooling effect. Also, when the vest dried to the point that it lost it's evaporative cooling effect, it became insulation and things quickly became too warm. Had to take it off to get some air flow through my mesh jacket.

We are planning a trip to CO in July and I'll be wearing the vest to help me get through the Texas summer heat while en route.

Ron
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
Hi, Ron - glad you 'survived' West Tejas with the cooling vest. Thangs should be mandatory here in the South!! And you're correct about high humidity reducing the effectiveness. I think the only solution to high temps and high humidity is a DQ!!

BTW - I used my cooling vest several times while mowing the lawn, and while it partially worked, it seemed to get the full effect, I needed to be moving faster than ole Craftsman could mow! This year, I'm keeping the cool vest for short jaunts around Boerne when conditions warrant (like NOW!!), and gonna invest in either a Veskimo product, or the Cool Shirt product. And hire me a lawn service!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience using the cooling vest, Ron. Stay cool!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I have an evaporative cooling vest I'll sell you. I just completed a round trip Las Vegas to Santa Barbara and back to Vegas with temps up to 120 F. I was using the Veskimo with the 9 quart coooler. I had to stop and turn it off because I got chilled. (Not really, but it did a great job.). I'm sure some one can explain it but even my head stayed pretty cool with 45 degree water circulating around my chest and back. I won't be using the evaporative cooling vest again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Dick,

Have the Veskimo and decided long ago that my time was too valuable to be spent doing lawn work. Hire someone to do it for you.

Here's a link to some discussions on evaporative vests, phase change vests, and ice/water forced flow cooling systems.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45297

BLUF for me:
It's taken heat out of the decision cycle on whether I take the motorcycle.
Not an issue any longer.
102 degrees (real feel 105) is the highest temp that I've used my Veskimo in.
Heat wasn't an issue and felt very comfortable on that ride.
Wearing Rev-It Air Force jacket and pants and a Shoei Multi-Synch helmet.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
Gary - thanks a bunch for the info. I'm with you on the lawn stimulus package!!

I've had an opportunity to try on the Cool Shirt and was definitely impressed. The present user/owner won't ride without it when temps spike above 85 or so, primarily due to a past experience with near heatstroke. At my age, I wanna avoid that situation and the Cool Vest is surely in my shopping plans.

From a non-owner, I 'think' I would prefer a vest type unit as opposed to the pull-over t-shirt affair (gotta watch the coif, ya know!! :rolleyes: ). That said, I asked my good friend if he thought it possible to hook up a Veskimo vest to the Cool Shirt apparatus - mainly because the Cool Shirt seems to have a larger capacity for ice storage. Concensus is still out on that possiblity, but I'm continuing to check.

Thanks for link to the discussion group. Time for me to go to class and learn what I can learn about each system (Cool Shirt vs Veskimo). BTW - I've used all the other devices (phase change, water soaked evaporative, and expanding capsules) and while not totally disenchanted, they each do have some downsides. Downsides that I don't see occurring with the capillary types.

Thanks again for the feedback, Gary. I appreciate it. Stay cool!!!

LT_Pilot said:
Dick,

Have the Veskimo and decided long ago that my time was too valuable to be spent doing lawn work. Hire someone to do it for you.

Here's a link to some discussions on evaporative vests, phase change vests, and ice/water forced flow cooling systems.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45297

BLUF for me:
It's taken heat out of the decision cycle on whether I take the motorcycle.
Not an issue any longer.
102 degrees (real feel 105) is the highest temp that I've used my Veskimo in.
Heat wasn't an issue and felt very comfortable on that ride.
Wearing Rev-It Air Force jacket and pants and a Shoei Multi-Synch helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Dick said:
Gary - thanks a bunch for the info. I'm with you on the lawn stimulus package!!

I've had an opportunity to try on the Cool Shirt and was definitely impressed. The present user/owner won't ride without it when temps spike above 85 or so, primarily due to a past experience with near heatstroke. At my age, I wanna avoid that situation and the Cool Vest is surely in my shopping plans.

From a non-owner, I 'think' I would prefer a vest type unit as opposed to the pull-over t-shirt affair (gotta watch the coif, ya know!! :rolleyes: ). That said, I asked my good friend if he thought it possible to hook up a Veskimo vest to the Cool Shirt apparatus - mainly because the Cool Shirt seems to have a larger capacity for ice storage. Concensus is still out on that possiblity, but I'm continuing to check.

Thanks for link to the discussion group. Time for me to go to class and learn what I can learn about each system (Cool Shirt vs Veskimo). BTW - I've used all the other devices (phase change, water soaked evaporative, and expanding capsules) and while not totally disenchanted, they each do have some downsides. Downsides that I don't see occurring with the capillary types.

Thanks again for the feedback, Gary. I appreciate it. Stay cool!!!

Dick,
I just looked at both web sites on the two mentioned products. the Veskimo reminds me of a unit that my wife just had for treatment of shoulder surgery. the unit came with a 12 pack size ice chest that had a pump built into the lid. The hoses went to a pad that was velcro'ed around her shoulder. That thing will get mighty cold. You filed the chest to the top with ice then added water. Looking at the two units they both look like they would work well here in the Phx area but th Veskimo seems to be more in the price range for me. One could also customize it better for your needs, weather on the motorcycle or some other use, they have more choices to build for your needs. I can see where you would get very cold using ice water. Veskimo seems to have my vote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
robasay said:
Dick,
Veskimo seems to have my vote.
I do not think you will be disappointed in the Veskimo. I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of my 49 liter top case to place the 9 quart cooler in the case and route the inlet/outlet hose and electrical connection through the bottom of the case. Has anyone ever tried to drill the bottom of a top case?
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
Moot said:
I do not think you will be disappointed in the Veskimo. I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of my 49 liter top case to place the 9 quart cooler in the case and route the inlet/outlet hose and electrical connection through the bottom of the case. Has anyone ever tried to drill the bottom of a top case?
That's what Woody did to his LT topcase. He's off in the northeast on vacation this week, but might check in with you and describe what he did. His handle is < gisman > here on the forums.

And Rob Asay - thanks for your thoughts. Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Dick said:
That's what Woody did to his LT topcase. He's off in the northeast on vacation this week, but might check in with you and describe what he did. His handle is < gisman > here on the forums.

And Rob Asay - thanks for your thoughts. Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!! ;)

Hey count me in for a group buy it was only 111 here on Sunday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Dick said:
... Maybe we oughta go after a group buy?!! ;)
That is a good idea! I'm in for a 2nd one (one for the spouse) even though I just purchased one last week and have not even tried it out.

Jon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
650 Posts
Personally I like my SilverEagle evap vest. I've used it 4 or 5 years and it does work even in this NC coastal humidity. If it didn't work I would not need to rewater it. It also does not take up any of the room we need for travel items.
It does drip sometimes but what isn't dripping when it is hot as hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Successfully drilled a 2" hole in the bottom of the top case to route the water hose and electrical connection for the Veskimo. It works great with the 9 quart cooler concealed int he top case thereby avoiding an unauthorized object strapped aboard. I found a 2" black plastic pipe cap that plugs the hole perfectly when not in use.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top