BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a major service which included coolant replacement. I tilted the bike to the right as far as was safe to do so in order to get the radiator fill point as high as possible. Filled up with 50/50 mixture, drained & refilled the expansion tank and all was good. On the initial run after service I noted that the engine temperature was normal at speeds above 60 Kph, but the temp rose by 1 bar (exactly to the midway point on the scale) at speeds lower than that. This was not the case before the coolant change. Thinking about it I concluded the system was not properly full. So, how to check, well, you need a double jointed left wrist, put the steering hard to the right then reach up and grit your teeth, pull a strange face and unscrew the radiator cap (engine cold of course). It can be done ! Take a small mirror and torch (US Flashlite) and it can be seen that the coolant is lower than full. I put another 300 mls (1/2 pint) in by means of plastic tube and mouth. Now she's all good. Oh, a small amount of silicone grease on the cap lugs makes the radiator cap easier to refit. Oh, 1 other thing, the coolant level in the exp tank won't rise and fall with this condition as the air space just gets compressed as the engine heats up rather than pushing out fluid into the tank (as the fluid cannot be compressed). Hope this helps someone out. Dennis

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can use a squeeze bulb (for filling batteries) and remove the plastic tip. Stick the bulb on top of the res tank and squeeze. It will do two things, purge the line of air and top off the radiator. you still have to loosen the rad cap but it beats using your mouth and tube to fill.

When done you can use it to clean your colon like a movie star.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
I always find it necessary to open the clamp on the right radiator top hose and "burp" out some air before it will fill all the way.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I need to renew the fluid again as I've only done it once, but.........................

I had no trouble as while filling it, I repeatedly squeezed the hoses until the fluid level at the cap didn't change. Filled the reservoir and haven't had a change in fluid level since.......1000's of miles. Maybe I was just lucky to get most of the air out on the first try. In fact my Clymer instructed me to squeeze the hoses.

Just saying! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
New2rt said:
You can use a squeeze bulb (for filling batteries) and remove the plastic tip. Stick the bulb on top of the res tank and squeeze. It will do two things, purge the line of air and top off the radiator. you still have to loosen the rad cap but it beats using your mouth and tube to fill.

When done you can use it to clean your colon like a movie star.
Know this from experience? Not that we really need to know! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
jzeiler said:
I always find it necessary to open the clamp on the right radiator top hose and "burp" out some air before it will fill all the way.
I've replaced all hoses (13yo and thought it prudent. They were in very good condition) and
will be filling up today. Why "open the clamp"? Is this to turn the bend in the hose downward so the air rises?

Boy, that top clamp on the "Y" hose was a bear to open! Not much room there. My tool
collection isn't all that extensive, but a slotted screwdriver is what helped the most.

Thanks,
Jer

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
quote " by means of plastic tube and mouth" quote

OMG, How did it taste Dennis :(

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I filled the K100, K1100, now K1200 same way as the car - fill 2/3 tp 3/4, start engine, let idle, continue to add then when starting to get warm shut off, fill rad to top, put cap on, make sure there is coolant in overflow, start, run till fan comes on - overflow should rise a bit, drive - never have .had a problem with cooling - if you get to top of rad while warming up may burp and spill some coolant.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill, once you get a taste for the bittering agent in the antifreeze it's quite nice over ice ! No seriously, I just sucked some water up in a clear plastic tube and then pushed it up into the radiator, only took 300 mls (1/2 pint) to fix it. I leaned the bike right over to the right and massaged the hoses but obviously she wasn't thirsty at the time, but I was ready for her silly little tricks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is it antifreeze that you are supposed to be sure to clean up after a spill because your cats and dogs will lick it up or is that brake fluid? Which ever one it is, according to the urban legend is supposed to kill them. Maybe humans aren't affected.

·
Registered
729 Posts
tips727 said:
Is it antifreeze that you are supposed to be sure to clean up after a spill because your cats and dogs will lick it up or is that brake fluid? Which ever one it is, according to the urban legend is supposed to kill them. Maybe humans aren't affected.
It's antifreeze, they add something to make it taste not so good. My understanding is it crystallizes cells or something like that and is a very painful way to go.
Taking a nice pull off a bottle of brake fluid is probably not a good idea either.

·
Registered
729 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Know this from experience? Not that we really need to know! :cool:
Well I'm 51 so I found out last year what it's like to be clean, inside and out.

Huh, just looked at that number after typing it, where did the years go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ethylene Glycol will kill your pets, that's why almost all the fluid you will find now is Propylene Glycol.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may kill your pets, and they'll end up stiff but at least they won't be frozen stiff. :rotf:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts