BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my cooling fans are not working, but not sure. At what gauge position do they come on normally? In hot weather, my gauge while riding reads just below halfway, then when I stop, it starts creeping up. I've seen it go to about 2/3rds, but have moved or shut down to prevent it going up farther. So the question starts with about where your fans come in, and then goes to testing procedure (the easy way).
Thank you very much for your time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
On mine, and I think this is the way the system is designed to work, the cooling fans come on at the little white mark just below the red line on the temp guage.

It is disconcerting to say the least but that's the way it was designed.

Mine runs down the road at just under half scale but if you whoa up at a light the engine will rapidly heat up. Summer, winter, fall, spring she will heat up. As soon as the needle hits the little magic white line the fans come on and she cools down quickly.

Sound like yours?

Loren

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Panhead_Jim said:
So I'm prolly alright. I've never let it get anywhere near max on the gauge. Should I do it one time just to test the system?
If you are like me, you want to know your hardware... and how it is to behave... so, yeah, I'd park and let it get warm enough to kick fans.

Once the fans kick, see how long it takes for it to turn fans off.

Then you will have an idea what to expect with out "freaking".

If you have one of those "infrared" sensors, it is easy to check the fluid temp

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my 99 the cooling fans come on only when the temp gauge is just shy of the red. It has been that way since I bought it new in 99. It often climbs to this level in hot weather and heavy traffic situations. I agree with the poster who suggested you park it and check the level at which your fans start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your replies. I can tell you without that ammo I would NEVER have let it climb that high. For whatever reason, I assumed that by 2/3 gauge, they would kick in. I am going to grit my teeth and let it warm up to the line and see. Again, thank you very much...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts