BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike has set for awhile had issues put tank back on now when I turn it on the fans come on. did I mess up plugs ? can't find
a color schematic for the wiring.

2003 K1200LTE

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
bike has set for awhile had issues put tank back on now when I turn it on the fans come on. did I mess up plugs ? can't find
a color schematic for the wiring.

2003 K1200LTE
As alabrew said, this is most likely an issue with the engine temp sensor. If you recently dropped the engine down for trans removal without unplugging it, it will stretch and damage the wires. If the sensor is unplugged or has any bad connection, the fans will come on with the ignition. The sensor plug is on the left side under the tupperware and is the bottom one of the 4 plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the connections all together, but one was loose reconnected it same problem. I will check the sensor connection tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I checked the connections all together, but one was loose reconnected it same problem. I will check the sensor connection tomorrow.
What work have you done recently since this started happening? Here is a link to a thread where Sailor posts some measurements of that sensor when someone else was troubleshooting. Post #6 has his table although it is in Celsius as he is from Canada. You can use the ohm readings in this chart to gauge the health of your sensor.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/180577-2002-k1200lt-high-idle-fans-after-clutch.html

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What work have you done recently since this started happening? Here is a link to a thread where Sailor posts some measurements of that sensor when someone else was troubleshooting. Post #6 has his table although it is in Celsius as he is from Canada. You can use the ohm readings in this chart to gauge the health of your sensor.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/180577-2002-k1200lt-high-idle-fans-after-clutch.html
GORDON,
In the link you have provided, the temps in the table are already in fahrenheit as described in the text just above (not in celcius). In some other threads in the past, I may have occasionnaly put these in Celcius, but not in the link you provided.

The OP should make sure he makes these test with sensor disconnected , Ignition OFF as explained in the photo album text below.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN3wKbI5mM6W9Kz8Z0LlnDS0czVu6FWt33uK0yb

This will confirm if the problem is on the sensor side of the wiring. Otherwise, his problem would be uncommon - he would have to troubleshoot further on the main harness side - not as easy to explain and I doubt very much that would be his current problem (unless major "bad" work was done on the bike recently).

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
GORDON,
In the link you have provided, the temps in the table are already in fahrenheit as described in the text just above (not in celcius). In some other threads in the past, I may have occasionnaly put these in Celcius, but not in the link you provided.

The OP should make sure he makes these test with sensor disconnected , Ignition OFF as explained in the photo album text below.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN3wKbI5mM6W9Kz8Z0LlnDS0czVu6FWt33uK0yb

This will confirm if the problem is on the sensor side of the wiring. Otherwise, his problem would be uncommon - he would have to troubleshoot further on the main harness side - not as easy to explain and I doubt very much that would be his current problem (unless major "bad" work was done on the bike recently).
Thanks for the correction. I think I did the conversion once from you posting it in celcius on another thread. I didn't look at it closely or I would have noticed :) I just knew it was from you so why reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finally got time to work on the fan problem. It was a loose connection, no corrosion etc. so hooked it back up , hit start and
running. will take it for a ride later today.
Thanks to all that helped find the problem.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts