BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 LT -- what other kind of coolent / antifreeze can I use other than BMW brand....they are too far away

Registered
1999 LTC
I have a 2001 LT -- what other kind of coolent / antifreeze can I use other than BMW brand....they are too far away
Last gallon I bought came from a BMW car dealership - you got one closer than Woods m/c shop?
They wantcha to use anti-freeze/coolant that contains no nitrites nor phosphates. Wonder if Amazon ships the stuff?? 馃

Registered
BMW coolant is an automotive type coolant. Here we go.

Reactions: loansumrider

Registered
I use Prestone pre-mixed, says on the bottle "all makes, all models".
I buy at the specialty automotive department chez wal mart.
15 years and 95,000 miles, no complaints.
YMMV

Registered
Zerex G-05 is readily available and does the job nicely. I buy the non-diluted so I can control the mix. This stuff is in compliance with bike specs.
Bob

Reactions: loansumrider

Registered
Go to your local Napa store and ask for Pentafrost. It is even blue in color and is just what your LT uses. You have to mix it so get some distilled water and have at it.

Registered
I think i used prestone. Anyway. It was a 50/50 mix.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
thank you one and all, i'll spend my lunch at the auto parts store reading the labels.

Reactions: Patric

Premium Member
Jim, I use Prestone, the old green version not the orange Dexcool. I buy the regular and mix it 50/50 with filtered water (not distilled) because it is inert not active. A gallon of HEB drinking water will do nicely:wink:

You want filtered water for cooling systems and distilled water for batteries. (May not matter empirically, but chemically it makes sense, so that's what I do.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts