BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attended the tech session 5-5-07 hosted by Griff. Everyone was great and friendly. I learned more than I thought I would. Next question about maintance is the coolent changing. Any got-ya's in attempting this? Does the rubber need to be changed? I have read the info here about the break fluid and that seems straight forward.

any info on either topic is helpfull.

Jim :dance:
01 LT 22500 mi

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also is there any other coolent other than the BMW stuff that will work.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
loansumrider said:
Attended the tech session 5-5-07 hosted by Griff. Everyone was great and friendly. I learned more than I thought I would. Next question about maintance is the coolent changing. Any got-ya's in attempting this? Does the rubber need to be changed? I have read the info here about the break fluid and that seems straight forward.

01 LT 22500 mi
Hi, Jim. Glad to have metcha at Grif's tech session. That one just about covered everythang; 'cept I don't remember if Brian or Bones did a coolant change?

Ole Toad is due for a coolant change also - don't remember the last time it wuz changed, butt would have been Lone Star who did it, so it's been a coupla years or more. At any rate, maybe we can schedule another tech session somewhere and do a two-fer coolant change. I think there are write ups in HoW pages describing the process. I betcha we can find somebody around here who has changed their's and might be willing to lend a hand. I'll check my social calendar and see if there are any dates that might work for you and others, assuming you'd like company!!

Regarding other brands of coolant - there are some 'no-no's' and 'must have's' as far as the coolant formula recommended by BMW. I've got a gallon of BMW and I'll take a look at the recipe in the next day or so to see whats in it, and letcha know. In the meantime, I'll watch this thread for responses you'll be getting.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Last time I checked it was 50-50 or 60-40 for "extreme" conditions.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's antifreeze to water 60-40 which is a nice way to go in case you ever need to top it off with straight water.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Coolant Change

I personally used what I had in the cabinet. Any name brand will do. I'm sure everyone has their personal favorites. Mix it 50/50 with water. There are write ups posted. I've done it both ways, the way the book says, and what I can only call dshealy's way which is much faster, but can make a hell of a mess with all the antifreeze going all over if you aren't careful.

I won't even try to spell out all the steps here. If you can't find the write up, message me and I'll get you the steps I used. It's pretty straightforward. Draining is the EASY part. It's the filling that is tricky. At least I thought it was. I had a difficult time getting my fill tube in the neck of the radiator with all the plastic still on.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Careful. The manual states that the LT needs a 50:50 mixture of nitrate free coolant with corrosion inhibitors. If you are going to mix your own, the manual recommends "only soft or distilled water. Never use tap water or salt water. . . . Never use alcohol based antifreeze." You can buy a jug of the nitrate free pre-mixed stuff with corrosion inhibitors at any auto parts store. Changing the coolant is a bit of a pita because the radiator cap and fill opening are buried. I wait until I am going to have the tupperware off for other maintenance purposes and change the coolant at the same time. The manual recommended intervals are to check the coolant level and concentration every 12K, replace coolant annually.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Probably a foolish question :eek: , but why do you need to change the antifreeze. I have owned cars and trucks that I know th antifreeze wasn't changed in 20 years and no problems. :confused:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
loansumrider said:

01 LT 22500 mi
Hola Jim, good to hear from ya. Enjoyed the chat and meeting ya.
I did not change the coolant at this service but I did last year. I feel OK with a two (or more) year interval period. Even is the hot part of Tejas I do not worry too much.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I would stick with the BMW coolant. 1 gallon will do at least 3 changes. While I had it drained and tupperware free I decided to replace the 4 year old cap. Went to auto parts to buy one,no dice,they fit but the OEM is a 21 lb test and the best auto parts one is 16lb. Got one on order from Chicago BMW though. Should be here sometime next year.

dan

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
DanMartin said:
I would stick with the BMW coolant. 1 gallon will do at least 3 changes. While I had it drained and tupperware free I decided to replace the 4 year old cap. Went to auto parts to buy one,no dice,they fit but the OEM is a 21 lb test and the best auto parts one is 16lb. Got one on order from Chicago BMW though. Should be here sometime next year.

dan
I did mine this year and used almost a full gallon.. ??

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
DanMartin said:
How? The coolant needs to be diluted 50-50. it only holds 2.5 quarts.

dan
Well, looks like I need to drain a few quarts out... :eek:

I went and 'really' looked. I find I should have read the directions a little closer.. It said not to add anything else to the solution but reading more carefully it also said to add water to a 50/50 or 60/40 concentration...

Good thing I haven't been in any extreme weather.. yet...

I just love it when I make work for myself.. :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
I spoke with my dealer about getting the air and fuel filter changed (I'm too chicken to remove the gas tank myself) and also asked about changing the anti-freeze. He said to change the anti-freeze every four years if you are putting on the miles per year that I am (about 13,000). I know this differs from the manual, but dealers frequently do things not in the book and I think my dealer is extremely competent so I'll follow his recommendations.

·
Registered
261 Posts
don't get to say this too often...

...and it may seem counterintuitive, but your local HD dealer stocks an antifreeze for the V-rod that is premixed to 50-50 with distilled water, and meets the BMW spec.

with its porsche designed engine, the needs are pretty similar - its convenient, and the price is not outta line.

as always YMMV. ;-)

·
Registered
805 Posts
alstrickland55 said:
Probably a foolish question :eek: , but why do you need to change the antifreeze. I have owned cars and trucks that I know th antifreeze wasn't changed in 20 years and no problems. :confused:
No, there are no foolish questions, Al. Many people never change the coolant in their cars/trucks (although it usually is recommended by the manufacturer). The reasons that I do it on the LT include: 1) Corrosion inhibitors break down over time, and I don't want any corrosion anywhere in the cooling system. 2) The 50:50 recommended mixture of water and antifreeze will change over time, mostly due to condensation within the system, which means that the water will increase in proportion to the antifreeze. I live in the North and ride year round, so I want to make sure that I keep the proportions right. 3) New coolant is more efficient and effective in pulling heat from the engine and getting rid of it in the radiators than old coolant. 4) Coolant fluid gets dirty over time, and I want to flush out the crud before it has a chance to settle into some corner and begin blocking a passage.
I have not heard of many radiator failures on LTs, so this might be overkill. For me, changing the coolant is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
DanMartin said:
How? The coolant needs to be diluted 50-50. it only holds 2.5 quarts.
dan
I just changed mine and it took approximately 4 quarts including the overflow tank.

I am hoping that all of the air was removed when I filled it. I have not started it yet as I want to check the valves. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
grifscoots said:
Did you massage the hoses? That helps to burp the air out.
No I did not massage the hoses. I think that I was the one needing the massage. I filled the radiator extremely slow hoping that all the air would get out. I took it out for a ride today and the temperature gauge seemed to be working fine. After pulling the tank I can see why the bmw dealers charge what they do. They also have to mess with any farkles installed.

My bigger issue is one of my intake valves is at .005 (?). I am going to make a appointment with my local bmw shop and tell them that I will strip all the plastic off so they just have to check and adjust the valve(s).

This is the first time that I changed my air and fuel filter, I am not going to tackle adjusting the valves and worry about what size buckets to get, let alone pulling the timing chain sprokets.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of stripping the plastic off before taking it in for service. I have watched my dealer strip the plastic completely from an LT and it took him about ten minutes. Even at $85/hour that isn't much money. I agree though that some things just aren't worth doing yourself, especially if a man knows his limitations. I know mine and pay for valve checks/adjustments, brake fluid changes, etc. I even chickened out on pulling the gas tank for air and fuel filter replacements. I'll think about changing the radiator coolant next year, but we'll see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts