BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what brand or type coolant do you recommend? Had to add a very small amount. Hope I made the right decision. Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
MB1200 said:
Guys, what brand or type coolant do you recommend? Had to add a very small amount. Hope I made the right decision. Thanks
Buy the BMW Koolaid. Just don't drink it!
Robert

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I use the BMW blue stuff. I have bought it at the BMW auto shop, but it's actually a few dollars cheaper at the motorcycle shop.

I've read that any silicate-free anti-freeze will work fine. Prestone used to say they had a silicone/silicate fomula in their old commercials. Silicate is what we want to avoid. I don't know if silicate is still in the Prestone, but it's worth my peace of mind to use what came in the bike.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
If you were just topping off I would not worry about using any of the available products at your local parts house.

If you are going to replace the fluid go to the local BMW car dealer and get the blue goo. It is cheaper there than the bike dealer for the same thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I read in the Clymer anything nitrate free and I read on the Prestone that it is nitrate free. So I used that....bout three ounces just to top it off. But I will remember to use the Blue goo when I change out the coolant totally. Thanks again !!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Prestone 50/50 worked fine for several friends of mine in their K1200LTs. I went with Engine Ice which also worked fine on a very hot trip I made last summer. Both are silicate and nitrite free.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
I use GM DEX-COOL Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant. It is safe with Cast Iron & Aluminum plus it extends water pump life. It is Silicate & Phosphate free.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you want the BMW blue made by Pentafrost, You can get it at NAPA. The part number is G001100. The red is part number is G001200. Full disclosure. Yes I do sales for some Napa stores and have several dealers who keep this on hand because it is less than buying from the mothership. This is not a sales pitch. It just happens to be what I have knowledge of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts