BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on this and found some good info, but none actually fit my problem/worry.

I'm getting swings in the temp gauge from just below the mid line to mid way between there and HOT (today was 85 ambient)....I've checked the coolant level and I can see it in the over flow area. As long as I'm at speed the gauge is ok, but if I hit traffic or stop lights the gauge creeps up.

Is this normal? and how close to the red should it go before it's a problem?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sound quite normal to me.

On my 2002, at speeds over 25-30mph when I am rolling along steadily the needle stays below the halfway mark. In slower, or stop-and-go traffic, the needle creeps upward into the upper half of the range. If I am stopped for any time at a light, I may hear the fans come on when the needle reaches 1/2" or so from the red. While the fans are on and the airflow is warming my legs I watch the needle drop down to a bit above halfway or so.

Once traffic clears and I am rolling along the needle drops back down and stays below the halfway mark.

I have yet to see the needle reach the red area. No red, no worries!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
As long as your fans kick in, it is not a problem. Just keep an ear out when the temp creeps up to almost red they will start up. Temp goes down pretty quick to normal once riding again.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.....guess I'm being a little over-reactive to my new toy.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
When I had my LT when I hit traffic, even with the outside temperature at 30 degrees, the temperature gauge would creep up and fans come on.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Normal. The only time mine got into the red was when one of the fans had somehow become unplugged.

If yours does ever get into the red, make sure BOTH fans are coming come on.

On my 2001, when it did get into the red, there was a warning light on the dash that got my attention before I noticed the temp gauge.

·
Registered
999 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Did a search on this and found some good info, but none actually fit my problem/worry.

I'm getting swings in the temp gauge from just below the mid line to mid way between there and HOT (today was 85 ambient)....I've checked the coolant level and I can see it in the over flow area. As long as I'm at speed the gauge is ok, but if I hit traffic or stop lights the gauge creeps up.

Is this normal? and how close to the red should it go before it's a problem?
I'm sure your car does the same thing - modern liquid cooled bikes are set up exactly the same - everything uses electric temp controled fans, cars used to have a fan attached to the water pump on the front of the motor that spun all the time therefor no big swing on the temp gauge

·
Registered
795 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Thanks for the replies.....guess I'm being a little over-reactive to my new toy.
Fear not, I too was super concerned about the dramatic swings of the temp needle, but I have come to get used to it. As mentioned above as long as the fans kick in you are fine. A couple days this summer when it was hitting around 115 and I was sitting in traffic on my way home I was white-knuckled that I might have to join the HD guys under the overpass, but when the fans kick in they really do their job, I just wish they kicked in a little sooner. Living in a blazing inferno overheating is always on my mind and watching that thing go up and up still makes me nervous even though I know the fans will catch it.

Relax and enjoy the bike.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
dasmith59 said:
Where is the "Fan Relay" located on a 2001 LT?

Thanks
Don Smith
In the relay box under the fuel tank.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts