BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE Coolant;
Hate to go down this road, again. I have always heard stay silicate free due to the wear on coolant pump seals. A big thing on Gold Wings. I went to get some Blue from BMW and it now says silicates..... I thought it was silicate free.
The only silicate free I've found is Chevron/Havaline from O'Reileys.
So what gives?,,,,, all the posts/treads state use silicate free... BMW blue? But it's not silicate free.
Maybe they have such a small amount?
Maybe they are OK with the business for the service departments when the seals go?
Anyone know the real answer.
The Chevron is Dexcool compatible which I've heard has or had issues.

·
Registered
494 Posts
:corn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
:deadhorse

·
Registered
85 Posts
Okay... this fellow "junior member" will play along. I recently replaced the coolant on my LT with (gasp) Prestone Extended Life. Among other things, the container says it's: 1) "silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free", and 2) (provides) "extended protection to all engine cooling system metals including aluminum." I even bought the (double gasp) 50/50 pre-diluted bottle so I wouldn't have to mix it with water. The BMW LT manual (as all "non-junior members" know) says: "use only nitrite-free long-term antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor." The Prestone, however, is not blue... Let the flaming begin.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Rick! You used Prestone Extended Life antifreeze in your beloved BMW????? For shame!

Me too! Meets all the specs, is available at the corner store, and I still have both arms and legs.

Loren

Beemerick said:
Okay... this fellow "junior member" will play along. I recently replaced the coolant on my LT with (gasp) Prestone Extended Life. Among other things, the container says it's: 1) "silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free", and 2) (provides) "extended protection to all engine cooling system metals including aluminum." I even bought the (double gasp) 50/50 pre-diluted bottle so I wouldn't have to mix it with water. The BMW LT manual (as all "non-junior members" know) says: "use only nitrite-free long-term antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor." The Prestone, however, is not blue... Let the flaming begin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I use Prestone premixed antifreeze, but it wasn't free.
How do you guys get it free?
Not free (~$15), just silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I get mine free!!!
See, I ride a Harley (among other bikes), and I.....wait for it.....ride free. Therefore, I get my antifreeze, for my Harley, for free.
Hey, this ain't rocket science guys.

For those who tend to be on the slow side, Harleys are air cooled. Get it? No? See...oh never mind. :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
fpmlt said:
I get mine free!!!
See, I ride a Harley (among other bikes), and I.....wait for it.....ride free. Therefore, I get my antifreeze, for my Harley, for free.
Hey, this ain't rocket science guys.
For those who tend to be on the slow side, Harleys are air cooled. Get it? No? See...oh never mind. :(
:histerica
Oooph... But seriously... Met a girl, just like my mom; looks like my mom, walks like my mom, talks like my mom; took her home to meet my family; my dad... he didn't like her... :histerica

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
With so many ingredients missing, it ought to be FREE :rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
fpmlt said:
Well that's all fine, but was she silicate free?

Or was that "Silicone Free?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess a reply is in order. After spending hours reading every thread and post I could find I was still same place. The manual, dealer and Clymer all say use “Silicate Free” coolant.
When I questioned the dealer why their coolant contains silicate’s (a form of sand after all) that could hasten pump seal wear, the answer was. “I’m sure BMW wouldn’t use anything that wasn’t the best.
So why then do they BMW specify silica free?
For years coolant has caused all sorts of issues. From eating through cylinder walls in power strokes. To rotting head gaskets, and pitting cylinder decks and heads. I just wanted an answer that I could feel good about.
I was hoping someone here would be able to provide a straight answer.
Instead all I got was sarcasm and insults.
Up to this point I had been very impressed with this site. I hope that what I have seen is not reflective of the membership as a whole.
Maybe the moderators could request that if you don’t have anything nice or constructive to say don’t say anything.
I’ve had more bikes than humans have fingers and toes. And have been riding and wrenching more years than many here have been breathing. BMW’s are for the most part are class acts and “most” of their owners I have met have been as well.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
SERIOUSLY?
What the hell's wrong with you? If you look back, Prestone extended life was mentioned to you 3 times. Need more? OK, how about this:
Dear Sir, in serious response to your request, many of us use Prestone Extended Life anti-freeze as it is free of all unnecessary ingredients harmful to your engine.
Feel better?
And you may have recognized the "beating the dead horse" and "stirring the pot" posts, suggesting that this has been discussed MORE THAN ONCE before. Look it up.
How much fricking harm does throwing a little humor into the mix do?
Lighten up. Or join an engineering forum for pure statistical data.
If you're gonna get pissed at anyone, it should have been the BMW tech that told you "it's BMW, it's gotta be the best.

·
Registered
85 Posts
renaissance1415 said:
...all I got was sarcasm and insults
Andrew, I reread this string of posts and did not see any sarcasm or insults directed at you. I certainly meant no offense. I too have a long love and history with motorcycles; as such, I do find humor in being referred to as a "junior member", not sure how many months or posts it takes to gain "bmwlt.com" seniority (not that concerned). I have noticed from this and other message boards I've belonged to, that some issues (like oil and tire threads) are more volatile than others. How about those LT's? Nice, right? Love mine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
Gee my BMW factory manual only sez : Nitrite-free long-life antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor. No mention of silicate free.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Boy, You'd better thicken up that chicken skin if you're going to hang around here with the real men....

As was mentioned several times...You got your answer.. And a little humor for us for asking a question that's been answered more than several times...

Can't tell you how many times I've been on the receiving end of a little fun here on the board...

Now go get some antifreeze and maybe a bottle of good Single Malt and ride on...

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts