BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum; but do appreciate any info you guys can give. A little history on my issue; A trip back in June up in Colorado Rockies we had been doing alot of slow travel stopped at motel shut off bike and had a small boil over. I replaced coolant with only a few ounces of coolant mix. Checked it regularly rest of trip no problems. Got back to flat Illinois no problem until after several rides noticed temp gauge only went up about half way to normal temp but when the gauge did go to normal temp the fans kicked on. Decided to change coolant, hoses,thermostat, and sensor. I've had no indication of head gasket problems bike was running fine except for temp gauge. Oil change had nothing showing in it. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get a lot of value for your time spent here reading up... :wave
I would replace the radiator cap as it was the most likely culprit for the boil over, and clean up the radiators as they can accumulate crud that reduce their efficiency.
Have you checked if both fans come on when the coolant is hot?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Remember that the temperature gauge has a very narrow scale. It probably ranges only from around 150F to around 250F. The thermostat only opens at 185F, and the fans come on at 221F. And the temperature sensor may drift a little with age. I don't think you need to worry, you've taken all the right maintenance actions. But do check that the radiator fins are clear and that the fans turn on. And for added peace of mind replace the radiator cap.

Riding slow at elevation will increase the engine temperature and the fans will kick in. Stopping at this temperature and shutting down the engine can typically result in a small boil due to heat soak. It would be best to ride a short distance at say 45mph to allow the engine to cool down a little, at least until the fans turn off, or let it idle and wait for the fans to turn off before you shut it down. That would prevent the small boil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info I will replace the cap. I did allow the bike to idle til the fans turned off after the boil; when we had to stop as it turned out it was the annual "Ride The Rockies" bicycle event so we spent a lot of time going slow or just plain stopped of course the scenery was great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.