BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon we took off to meet our club at a place about 30mi away. We were supposed to meet up with another member on the way. When we got to the meeting place, we cruised the lots a few times, slow speed, looking for him. Temp guage went high pretty quickly, fans came on as they are supposed to. Ambient temp was mid 70s.

Our friend wasn't there yet, so we found a parking spot and stopped. Put the bike on the side stand and soon heard a sizzling sound.

Looked down to see something leaking out, directly under the motor area, hitting the pipe where it was sizzling. Got the bike up on the centerstand, and it quit leaking.

A finger test found the fluid to be coolant. A small puddle leaked out, 4in diameter or so.

I am guessing there is an overflow tank that when the bike heated up got additional fluid in it. Then, when I put the bike on the sidestand, the fluid came out the overfill tube.

We finished the outing, no problem, no undue heating.

Does this sound familiar? Should I check anything out?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just make sure that the coolant level in the overflow/reserve tank is below the "MAX" line - when the bike is cold.

I'd suggest putting a mark on the tank at the coolant level when the bike is cold - then you have a reference point if you have more problems.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Here is my 2 cents............If the leak was up front, it was probably next to the radiator cap where the little hose connects and then runs all the way back to under the rear seat to the expansion tank. Probably a loose clamp or a hole/crack in the rubber hose. If so, your expansion tank isn't doing you any good. So, when your engine is cold, your coolant level in the radiators is low and when it heats up, it looses coolant. I'd take the left tupperware off and have a look at the clamp on the hose near the cap. :bmw:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts