BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a coolant change on an 05 LT. The coolant that came out was blue. What I am putting in is red. It is from Oreilly called Final Charge Global. I am mixing it 50-50 with distilled water. It is silicate, phosphate, nitrate and borate free and has Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 and Diethylene 111-46-6. My question is should I be concerned about the different color?
Thanks all, I would really hate to put it in and have to take it back out again.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
As long as it is silicate and phosphate free I don't think it really matters what color it is. The whole color thing is mostly marketing since it's just added dye.

I've always thought that keeping the chemistry inside the coolant passages the same as OEM is of utmost importance - there are several aftermarket coolants that have the EXACT same compounds as "BMW" brand coolant at less than half the price at your local auto parts store. Most likey BMW coolant is made by one of them. Some of them are even BLUE! ;)

I ALWAYS put on a new generic cap whenever I do a coolant change, even if the old one looks OK. I'm after a fresh rubber seal.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
x2..................Ethelene Glycol and Diethelene are both clear liquids. :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts