BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the method for coolant change w/o removing the tank and it was remarkably easy. I got a one quart funnell with a couple feet of hose attached....added more hose, zip tied the funnell to a ladder for height and gravity fed in the coolant. The additional clear plastic hose was very flexible and easily worked into the filler hole on the radiator. I thought getting the cap back back on in the somewhat cramped space would be difficult, but it wasn't hard at all. I did remove the front spoiler which made the draining process easier...just a few minutes to do that saved a lot of hassle and probably some mess. Thanks to those who posted those instructions!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reid said:
I tried the method for coolant change w/o removing the tank and it was remarkably easy. ...
I did a search and couldn't find the method you reference. Can you include a link to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Draining is the easy part. Remove the center engine spoiler (behind the front wheel) to gain access to the lower radiator hose. Unscrew the hose clamp, pull off the hose and drain the coolant. Put the hose back on and re-clamp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the instructions referenced below for replacing coolant without removing the tank? I wanted to do perform this maintenance this weekend but I can't find this information. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure which tank folks are talking about here (the fuel tank or the coolant expansion/overflow/reservoir tank). Either way, I've never removed either tank for coolant changes.

1. Remove lower/center spoiler(tupperware).
  2. Remove radiator cap
  3. Place drain pan underneath bike, unplug the water pump temperature sensor wire, and remove the temp sensor.
  4. Allow all coolant to drain.
  5. Once drained, loosen clamp and remove the small overflow hose from the radiator neck, and then drain the expansion tank. If the tank doesn't start draining (siphon won't start), then simply blow into the expansion tank (tank cap has nipple that makes this easy...mmmm, tastes great!!).
  6. Once everything is drained, you might want to flush the expansion tank once or twice (use only distilled water) if there is any debris or scale in the tank.
  7. Replace temp sensor (torque to 9Nm)
  8. Replace the vent hose on the nipple of the radiator neck and tighten clamp.
  9. Fill system with 50:50 mixture of coolant/distilled water. Use only coolant that is nitrite free, long-term, w/ corrosion inhibitor. To fill the system, I use a funnel with a rubber hose attached. I snake the hose down through the opening between the black plastic part (i.e. - front speaker housing), and the silver plastic part that swivels when you steer. Go slow...and keep and eye on the level as you fill. Another thing that helps is to knead the lower hose (between your thumb and fore finger) to purge large air bubbles.
  10. Once the radiator/engine is filled, now fill the expansion tank to the proper level.
  11. Over the next few days, the entrapped air bubbles will work their way to the top, and be vented through the expansion tank. This air will then be displaced by coolant, so the level in the expansion tank will go down. Just keep an eye on the level in the tank over the next few days/rides...and top off as necessary (with the 50:50 mixture).
Piece of cake....
Have fun, Toolman

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My bike ran hot after the change. I went back and massaged the hoses and filled the radiator. While the cap was loose, I overfilled the resovoir and blew into the nipple until it came out at the radiator. Then I tightened the radiator cap and topped off the resovoir tank. Problem solved............ :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts