BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
a very nice helmet. I don't think anyone tried it yet here in the country.

·
Registered
910 Posts
it could be my next helmet-
The Jiano is a little noisy, slight dissapointment there.
Where , when and how much.........

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
At first blush I was thinking that must be very distracting. But would it be, really? It's very much like the rearview mirror in a car, except it's right there in your face.

What they didn't show was what the user would see when he looked left and right. Look left over a guardrail to a mountain vista, see the mountain itself in the mirror. Could be distracting!

I'd be willing to try one, on someone else's dime.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It seems like a cool helmet. I'll bet its got great air flow. I wonder.... :rolleyes: Could it actually be as quiet as was portrayed in the video? :dance: Wow, sheesh! Has Grif had the chance to drool over it yet? :bmw:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Cool idea. For me might take some getting used to but definitely see the benefits. Wonder how it is at night.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
That's very clever and obviously well engineered, but I think it's just a substitute for good driving habits and has the potential to actually cause an accident.

Have you ever noticed how many cage driver's (and unfortunately many inexperienced motorcycle riders) ONLY use their rear or side mirrors - and have never mastered the technique of a quick "over the shoulder" look? LAZY - plain and simple.

I was taught in driver's ed - when I was 15 years old - that target fixation is VERY dangerous - your eyes should be moving constantly when driving to maximize situational awareness. I've never had a problem sensing traffic behind me simply by using my peripheral vision (and a set of RT mirrors mounted on my LT's handlebars) at all times.

I think it would be a HUGE advantage for road racing when knowing EXACTLY where a competitor is behind you is essential for tactical reasons.

This is just another farkle to go along with our I-pods, cup holders, GPS, yadda yadda - all of which make you less safe. Just because cars have rear view mirrors doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea for motorcycles.

Even if you eventually did get used to it, you would still need to do an "over the shoulder" check... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
mwnahas said:
Wouldn't be of very much use when riding two up. :(
My first reply was going to be "well duh, just have your wife wear that helmet", but then that could result in a really bad case of backseat driver-itis. Can you imagine having your SO tell you about everything coming up behind you? No thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts