BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had an interesting conversation today with a customer service rep at BMW. I explained that I was going on an 8K mile trip this summer and I wanted any tips on service he could offer. My LT is an ’05 and the warranty runs out in another month.

His first suggestion was to have the slave cylinder checked. He said, if this starts to leak it could damage the clutch and could lead to an expensive repair. I asked him about drilling a drain hole. He said BMW did not sanction this procedure but it might be a good idea anyway. I’ve seen references to this on this site but did not pay much attention. Maybe someone could direct me to a thread so I can perform this preventative maintenance.

His second suggestion was to replace the oil in the final drive. He said they (BMW) have had a lot of experience with final drive failures. He said the biggest issue was overloading the bike. Again, quoting him, “the more weight on the back, the greater the chances of a failure”. He went on to say the maximum load on the bike is 561 LBS total; rider, passenger, baggage, all up. He also said to use only BMW rear drive oil. He said many failures were from riders who were using Mobil oil products.

His third suggestion was to have the brake fluid flushed and changed at least once a year. He said old fluid could damage the ABS system and lead to another costly repair.

My bike is going in for service next week for all the above. Any additional tips will be appreciated. Especially, where and how to drill the hole for the brake fluid.

Smith
’05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This should explain it. Good luck onthe upcomong ride...and the dealer invoice for the service.

Maybe the final drive one can save you a few dollars. It took me 15 minutes +/-.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Smith said:
My bike is going in for service next week for all the above.
I see you've been around the forums for a few years. Have you attended any tech sessions? Any, all, and more of the services you've mentioned are routinely performed at tech sessions in various areas of NC. If you have the desire to learn to wrench on your LT and save some money in the process, keep an eye on the Regions section, SouthEast area. Tech sessions are bound to be popping up soon. It's probably too late with your trip approaching, but there's always next time. Hope this helps.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
God knows how I hate to get into a final drive discussion, but the BMW rep talking about the use of Mobil for the rear drive is nonsense. I used nothing but BMW-branded lubricants, serviced by BMW certified mechanics, never rode over the weight rating for the motorcycle (since I never rode two-up or pulled a trailer), and I still had a rear drive bearing failure.

It is my opinion that this is not a choice of lubricant issue, a flawed bearing issue, but more of an assembly issue where the bearing is installed with an improper preload and/or shimming of the bearing in the final drive. Again, this is only my opinion, but based on the manner in which the bearing seems to fail, it seems this is the most likely cause.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi Smith,

An 8K trip sounds awesome. Where ya going?

You are going to pay "a ton" in labor just getting to the slave cylinder to "inspect it". Replace it while you are in there. There are two or three other seals, the tranny output seal being the most trouble (if it fails later). Replace them all. I think I paid about $130.00 for all the parts (labor done by mental-defective :) )

You'll want to have a drain hole drilled in the slave housing AND the bell housing. The bell housing hole will allow a leaking main seal to give you a "tell-tale" hopefully before it destroys the clutch.

There is an awesome write up on the slave drilling procedure and some other threads here:

Slave cylinder thread

Slave cylinder parts

Jack's Clutch Replacement If you Don't Drill The HOLE

You'll need to expect a "4-figure" bill for all of this, but, 8,000 miles on the bike will save you that in gas :rolleyes:

I would also suggest replacing transmission oil.

Depending on whether you have ever replaced the air and gas filters, you may as well do it.

Finally, you need some new rubber!

Enjoy the trip--send some updates along the way.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 05 LT (new to me) with just under 7,000 miles on it. All of the scheduled services have been done at the local BMW dealship. I am looking to do some serious riding this summer. Should I pay $$$$$ to get this done as well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not mechanically inclined.....but I can buy all the beer someone can drink and pizza they can eat....

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
BMW's response the the myriad of FD failures in the IBR Rally was also that the bikes were "grossly overloaded" when in fact most of those guys had actually weighed their rally-ready bikes and found that the extra tools, gear, and laptops weighed in at less than a normal passenger. So they were nowhere near the design limits of the bike, but that little fib made it easier to say that those bikes had obviously been abused so therefore BMW wasn't responsible for the failures.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Smith and George,

There is a link in my signature to a procedure for drilling the weep hole for the slave cylinder. You need a special socket to complete the project.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
nctarheels said:
I'm not mechanically inclined.....but I can buy all the beer someone can drink and pizza they can eat....
6' 5" 235lb, I may cost you more than the dealer :D

Actually, I am planning on doing Al Young's slave sometime over the next few weeks. We don't actually have the date planned, but, I'll let you know when we plan it.

If mine was any gage, it took all day. Can't imagine doing more than one per, but, we'll see.

I think my first child's birth was a lot harder (for me at least) than our second. :rotf:

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am M-F 8 to 5er. I'm not against learning how....but I wouldn't dare venture out on my own. I've seen the works of my hands....not a pretty sight, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
New tires for an 8K trip.
Fluid changes sound like a good idea.
Cheaper to buy an insurance policy, extended warranty, to cover possibility of FD, slave cylinder, trany and engine seal leaks.
If you have a charge card, and a plan on what to do if your bike is disabled, you should be good to go.
Enjoy your summer wx.
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts