BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the Convenience Group be added to an existing 2005 K1200LT by the dealer?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
dglenn1 said:
Can the Convenience Group be added to an existing 2005 K1200LT by the dealer?

Thanks,
Hmmm -- didn't realize it was optional. Short answer is: I don't know -- you'll have to call a dealer to get a definite answer.

The longer answer is I will be surprised if it is, as the installation of the central locking bits in the saddlebags, trunk and oddments compartment, and the alarm system components would require *major* disassembly of the bike -- assuming that the wiring harnesses for these bits are already pre-installed in the first place. I can't see it ever being economically feasible to offer retrofit of the central locking, alarm and under-wing lighting -- especially if the wiring isn't there.

FWIW, when the LT came out in '98/'99, the Standard bikes had a different wiring harness than the Icon and Custom models, so it's entirely within the realm of possibilities that the non-factory-equipped-with-Convenience-Group bikes do *not* have the extra wiring needed. Again, I do *not* know the right answer here, just wanted you to be aware of the potential problem.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Convenience Group Option

Thanks for responding. Needed a quick answer and all I had was email, couldn't get to the phone. I called a dealer and he confirmed your response. It can be done but it is really expensive and not worth the trouble. It is an option and not standard equipment. I completed a sale on a used bike not thinking to confirm the Convenience Group was present. I guess I'll just get used to locking everything and hope it does not effect resale too much. The alarm would have been nice for insurance discount. The good news is I should be an owner soon after several months of lurking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts