BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in May, I purchased and had installed a set of Continental Road Attack tires on my K12. They've been wonderful so far up until today. When looking at the front tire, it seems like my tread is begining to seperate. It appears to be where the compounds of the tire changes, right between the hard middle and squishy outer. Any body have experience with these tires? I have less than 7000 miles on these tires and to be honest I'm afraid to put another mile on for fear of blowing the front tire.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Ummm, last time I checked those tires are not approved for the weight of an LT. Maybe things have changed and they have something new, I'll have to admit I don't keep up on this stuff.

Pretty sure you currently have 3 options: Metzelers, Bridgestones and Avons.

So...... my FIRST LT came equipped with Conti's. They were a bad joke, and this was 10 years ago. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
skotlyc said:
So in May, I purchased and had installed a set of Continental Road Attack tires on my K12. They've been wonderful so far up until today. When looking at the front tire, it seems like my tread is begining to seperate. It appears to be where the compounds of the tire changes, right between the hard middle and squishy outer. Any body have experience with these tires? I have less than 7000 miles on these tires and to be honest I'm afraid to put another mile on for fear of blowing the front tire.
You say K12.... are you talking about a k1200LT?
I've used Continental tires on my Airheads, nice tires, I like them. ContiTwins are the classic Airhead tire. I've also run ContiBlitz on the Airheads.

BUT last time I checked, there is no Continental tire that is load rated for the K1200LT.
Be careful out there.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
CharlieVT said:
You say K12.... are you talking about a k1200LT?
I've used Continental tires on my Airheads, nice tires, I like them. ContiTwins are the classic Airhead tire. I've also run ContiBlitz on the Airheads.

BUT last time I checked, there is no Continental tire that is load rated for the K1200LT.
Be careful out there.
Yep, that's an LT in his profile picture.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Yep, that's an LT in his profile picture.
Begs to wonder 'who' did the "had installed"??

Edit: I just finished going thru the convoluted website of Conti tires and once I wuz able to drill down to the BMW M/C fitment guide, there are no tires listed for the K1200LT. Wonder what the tires in question sidewall description reads??

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
according to a previous post

He has a 99 k1200lt.

hummmm....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late reply. The Conti's were recommended by the local ex-BMW dealership here in fort wayne. It is infact the k1200lt. You guys are starting to make me nervous with the load ratings. I guess I should have done my research before I asked for an ex-dealership's opinion. Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. The rear still has plenty of life left, and I have ridden it in greater than 100 degree weather with no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. "

Sort'a like saying: "she was doing just fine, right up to the crash".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize. The tires the dealership sold me are Continental Contiforce. After looking at the spec sheet.... they are definetley not fitted for the load rating of my HUGE bike. So what should I do? Go back to the dealership and demand a new set of tires since it was thier recomendation in the first place?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
skotlyc said:
Sorry for the late reply. The Conti's were recommended by the local ex-BMW dealership here in fort wayne. It is infact the k1200lt. You guys are starting to make me nervous with the load ratings. I guess I should have done my research before I asked for an ex-dealership's opinion. Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. The rear still has plenty of life left, and I have ridden it in greater than 100 degree weather with no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.
Before your luck runs out, why don't you ping Continental Tire US and ax them whazzup with your situation. And while you're waiting on their answer, stay off the bike - seriously!! And start looking for replacement tires now. We don't want EVER to hear of a rider down because they ran the wrong rated tire. Get in an accident and a good accident investigator will hone in on that aspect of possible causation to the event - then the fun begins! Or ends!!!

BTW - properly rated tires have been known to have tread separation as a tire defect - not because it wuz improperly installed with regard to load rating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh believe me... I have not and will not ride the bike until the problem is fixed. Seeing the bulge and thinking of the possibilities has scared me enough.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'd want to have a very serious discussion with the fella that recommended/sold/or installed those. His hiny would be hung out quite a ways should you have crashed. You did get lucky on this one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are many front tires out there that have the same rating as recomended for the front of the LT where it gets special is the load rating for thre rear tire.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Per post from Meese, here are the K1200LT tire weight requirements and then the size requirements:

The front is pretty standard at 58W (58 = 520 lbs and W = up to 168 mph), but there are very few tires that meet the weight rating required for the the rear, which is 79V (79 = 963 lbs and V = up to 149 mph).

Speed is not the issue unless you have JATO rocket assist from a C-130 as your dream farkle

K1200LT Tire sizes are:

120/70VB-17 Front
160/70VB-17 Rear

·
Registered
910 Posts
I still thank my lucky stars to Dan Martin, as he noted the tires on my Lt.. Were for a GT.
Took em back and the shop replaced for free.. As they should.

I know to really watch now.. Trust but verify.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
After speaking to Continental, I'd give the shop that made the recommendation a call and ask how they wish to handle it. Keep it open ended and maybe they will proactive suggest an adjustment.

After 7,000 miles, more than some get on a set of tires, you don't have a lot to complain about, unless you want to get ugly about it. Of course, that's just mu opinion.

I have had very good results on the proper Metz and would not hesitate to get them installed immediately. Some like Bridgestone and have had similar results. The wheels are not had to remove on your bike and most local bike dealers can swap the tires for you. This way do don't have to ride the bike to get new tires. I generally use a local Honda dealer who is close to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts