BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to contact the chief engineer at the BMW motorcycle factory whose resonposible for drivetrain / engine design? I would like to know the e-mail address if possible.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Does anyone know how to contact the chief engineer at the BMW motorcycle factory whose resonposible for drivetrain / engine design? I would like to know the e-mail address if possible.
You have a better chance at the pick 6 than contacting RD.
Good Luck !
Don't mean to be -

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Sure, you can contact me directly at [email protected]. What's on your mind?

I monitor this site frequently and am always interested in what our customer's think about our design and engineering.

Please keep in mind that we are about an 8 hour time differential from most parts of the USA here in Germany, so it may take a while to get back with you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Sure... What's on your mind?...
And, Ron, once you get the long-expected email from the customer, could you re-post it here? We all are curious what compliments they pay you.

:histerica

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
For what purpose? If it's to bitch about final drives I'm guessing they already know and don't need to hear from someone else about it. Probably best to let that group focus on making them better and for us to deal with the group that's in place to handle our questions, issues and complaints. Your/our avenue as customers into BMW corporate is via BMW Customer Relations. 800-831-1117. All of my dealings with this group have been very effective and satisfying and in most cases resolved my issues, or gave me a reasonable response as to why they/we could not do something. They do escalate into the rest of the organization as warranted and will try to solve your specific problem, assuming you have one to be resolved.

·
Registered
280 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Sure, you can contact me directly at [email protected]. What's on your mind?

I monitor this site frequently and am always interested in what our customer's think about our design and engineering.

Please keep in mind that we are about an 8 hour time differential from most parts of the USA here in Germany, so it may take a while to get back with you.
How about some info on what is going on with a new LT?

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
You mean this guy?

I'm sure that's BMW's drivetrain engineer, based on the number of design awards he's wearing just below his belt . . .

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
This is the best thread in ages. :histerica
I don't know if the original poster is trying to be funny, is trolling for grins, or is serious and wants to complain to the Chief Engineer, or is serious and has a recommendation for a fix to BMW... or what....??

Me thinks it must be a gag; like my post some time ago inquiring as to what the best snow tire is for the LT. Don't put in a " ;) " in a gag post and some folks take you at your word and try to be genuinely helpful.

On the other hand Erv, if you posted in seriousness please understand that this subject goes way back in the archives on this board. I hate to sound like the search police, (I hate the search police) but if you had read only a fraction of past posts regarding BMW's lack of public response to the final drive issue, you'd understand why your post and this thread are likely to be moved to the humor forum.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I hate to sound like the search police, (I hate the search police) but if you had read only a fraction of past posts regarding BMW's lack of public response to the final drive issue, you'd understand why your post and this thread are likely to be moved to the humor forum.

Cheers!
Hi Charlie -

Thanks for the reminder - has anyone heard from this guy?!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=425993#poststop

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ted said:
Hi Charlie -

Thanks for the reminder - has anyone heard from this guy?!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=425993#poststop
Well guys I hate to disappoint you but my request to the BMW engineers had nothing to do with the final drive. I've already heard that some have problems and other don't. I guess when it goes out I'll get it fixed. It was about motors and why BMW is thinking about and in-line six verses taking the one we currently have in the LT and just turning it into a boxer eight. Now that would be a powerplant. Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Customer Relations is the appropriate contact to use to get into that conversation as well.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
meese said:
You mean this guy?

I'm sure that's BMW's drivetrain engineer, based on the number of design awards he's wearing just below his belt . . .
Those aren't awards, they are spare parts.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Erv, I doubt anyone is disappointed that you were not thinking about the final drive issue. It is that issue that has made many folks somewhat jaundiced regarding the seeming indifference of BMW to consumer input.
Actually, a couple (few) years ago there were two gentlemen from BMW Germany in the US conducting focus groups looking for input regarding the next generation LT. I attended one such meeting at Max BMW in New York. These gents from Germany asked questions of the group, mostly K1200LT riders. One of the guys was high in the engineering dept, not sure if he qualified as the "head engineer" but he may have been, my memory fades. They were headed to other forums in the US before heading back to Germany so they got input from multiple groups.
They sought input regarding weight, center of gravity, audio system, handling, motor, among other things. One of the last questions asked by the engineer was what kind of motor would the group like to see. I told 'em they could make it anything but a V-twin. :) Most everyone in the group agreed that the flying brick powerplant was a fine motor. At that time none of us had any idea of the in-line six that was to come.
Sure, contact customer relations and tell them what you think. But I'd venture a guess that such input will be pretty pointless; judging by the rumors the next gen KLT is well past the motor design stage. As far as them actually putting you in contact with someone in engineering who will explain why they make/made the decisions they do, well I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe some nice customer relations person will thank you for your input and interest though.

addendum, found this:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=239709#poststop

BMWK1200LT said:
Well guys I hate to disappoint you but my request to the BMW engineers had nothing to do with the final drive. I've already heard that some have problems and other don't. I guess when it goes out I'll get it fixed. It was about motors and why BMW is thinking about and in-line six verses taking the one we currently have in the LT and just turning it into a boxer eight. Now that would be a powerplant. Have a good day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
meese said:
You mean this guy?

No. That's a German BMW Motorcycle consumer showing off all the parts that fell out of his FD. He got First Place at the show.

(I luvs my '09 RT....oh please don't fail me)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BMWK1200LT said:
Have you thought of how WIDE an engine that would be? Making the current engine an opposed 8 would be so wide you could not easily put it in any motorcycle. Remember, the fairings on the LT are pretty wide as it is, adding another 12 inches or so would be pretty prohibitive. To do it and keep the width down would require a total re-design to make the bores much larger in order to greatly reduce the stroke, which would make it a high rpm low torque engine.

BMW seemingly has taken the very realistic approach and took the basic design of the later generation K four cylinder and added 2 more cylinders, spaced very close together. They have already pretty much proven out the design in the 4, pretty easy to ramp it up to a 6, with far less engineering time than to do an opposed 8.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm really curious about the CZ1 cylinder configuration, and why BMW wouldn't use that idea. If you're not familiam with it, the CZ took a four in-line, but staggared the cylinders. In otherwords, one and three up more forward, two and four back and in. See if I can draw this out:

O O
O O

Sort'a like that, only closer. Made the engine a bit more narrow. Was a cool idea. Also used twin crankshafts and three cams.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well that didn't work. Try to imagine the bottom two "O"s, moved to the right, so that the first one was between the top two. Sorry. Here, try this.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think there would be serious balance problems with the skewed four. An opposed six presents essentially no inherent balance problem, but my 4 cyl in-line K1200 seems turbine smooth too.

Normally 4 cyl in-line engines would have a lot of second harmonic vibration - unless they had a double speed counterbalance system.

How does the present K bike do it? (I should look at my manual)........... :wave

·
Registered
656 Posts
IMO if they again increase the weight of the bike I would think they are going to have to change the front rake as it stands its a little dangerous now with applying the breaks when the front wheel is cocked. I can just imagine the same with even more weight being applied to the front end.

niel_petersen said:
I think there would be serious balance problems with the skewed four. An opposed six presents essentially no inherent balance problem, but my 4 cyl in-line K1200 seems turbine smooth too.

Normally 4 cyl in-line engines would have a lot of second harmonic vibration - unless they had a double speed counterbalance system.

How does the present K bike do it? (I should look at my manual)........... :wave

·
Registered
475 Posts
dshealey said:
Have you thought of how WIDE an engine that would be? Making the current engine an opposed 8 would be so wide you could not easily put it in any motorcycle. Remember, the fairings on the LT are pretty wide as it is, adding another 12 inches or so would be pretty prohibitive. To do it and keep the width down would require a total re-design to make the bores much larger in order to greatly reduce the stroke, which would make it a high rpm low torque engine.

BMW seemingly has taken the very realistic approach and took the basic design of the later generation K four cylinder and added 2 more cylinders, spaced very close together. They have already pretty much proven out the design in the 4, pretty easy to ramp it up to a 6, with far less engineering time than to do an opposed 8.
Boss Hoss was able to do it.

http://www.bosshoss.com/view_bike.asp?x=BHC3LS3SS#

1 - 20 of 70 Posts