BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2002 K1200 LTC and have what may be a silly question.

When I stop at a red light, etc... I hear a sound like the ABS pump or motor (kind of an electrical motor whinning) that can be heard as long as I have either the front or rear breaks activated.

My ABS light flashes when I first start the bike but shuts off once I get to around 5 MPH and my breaks appear to be working properly.

Is this normal? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for letting me know it is a normal sound.

It is funny, I have had several people ask me what that sound is when I stop next to them to talk.

Never heard that sound on my previous K1200RS with ABS, or at least it wasn't as loud on that bike and I never noticed it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just so you get confidence in numbers, yes, all is normal, that's how it works on this bike.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Its the power assist servos. I can hear it myslef but I didn't think it was that loud that others would notice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
servos. Front squeeze is a wee bit louder than brake petal. On the old "06 GT with power brakes I was able to play tunes. :dance: Normal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. Still getting used to the "quirks" of the LT but I love the bike!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If once stopped you back off on the brake lever(s) a little, The servos will stop running..

As long as you're "squeezing" the levers, the servos are going to run.. Just ease up a little

It's like a balancing act..... Fool around and modulate the levers a little while stopped..

You'll find it..

John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like everyone has said "normal" LT sounds... however on my 2002 it got louder
just before the ABS servo (a near $4,000 repair) went out! listen closely - I don't know if there is any prevention you can do but always thought old or contaminated brake fluid was to blame - maybe some of the older guys (I mean that in riding years not clock years!!) can chime in and save you a very costly repair in the future - cost me my LT but worked out in the long run as I have a new RT now....

enjoy the site - you'll learn tons here

Chilly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will play with the lever pressure and find the sweet spot when stopped.

Well I certainly hope it isn't a pending failure of any sort, I don't have any comparison to say if it is too loud or getting louder.

If any experienced LT owners have any additional thought I would love to hear them.

Thanks to all who responded previously and in the future!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought the powers assist wasn't till 04 or 05?
The more I read about theses bikes the happier I am that I have a 2000..no power interlocked brakes or none of that alarm/immobilizer crap. :cool: or power assist center stand.
I don't even have a skid plate on mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi JSpen,

I tried modulating the front break lever and the rear break pedal but never was able to find a spot where the "whirring" stopped.

Does that indicate that there might be an issue?

It seems that, based on the feedback here that the sound is normal.

Just want to understand fully before taking her on a long trip.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,423 Posts
It should only stop when you release the brakes. The ABS pumps are activated two ways. One, is they sense a brake light switch has been closed (front or rear). Two, is that pressure is sensed on the ABS control circuit. If the pump sound is still there when you release both brakes you may have a stuck or misadjusted switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts