BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Can i ask? Can you fit LED bulbs to the front turn signals without bringing up an error light?.
In some surveys, I've read states that wearing red draws( jacket/helmet) the eye more than yellow hi-viz. Red is one of the last colors that a person going blind can see. Another survey stated too many lamps on m/c(front or rear) can transfix the eye and sort of put the viewer into a semi-trance( cheap LSD). It has also been found a person looking at these lamps will increase speed to get closer to the source. LED lamps can cause this more than normal halogen bulbs due to the color spectrum.
Refer to my post above.
That's close to what happened to me. The brightness of his headlight at 5AM blinded me, killing my depth perception (which is already pretty variable due to age). The particular configuration of the frontage road we were on, and the adjacent freeway which broke away to the right over the horizon (while the frontage road broke left), was deceptive enough that I didn't process that he was 100 feet from me on approach, while I thought he was 1/2 mile away on the freeway. Very weird, pretty frightening, and the guy likely had to avoid T-boning me as I pulled onto the frontage road in front of him.

There's no perfect solution to every situation, and I'd rather have the lights, particularly the Skene front Pulsar strobes (versus driving lights), than trust BMW's tiny candles up front alone. The best we can do is add some visibility (i.e. reflective strips on the side cases, better forward lighting, a strobe or two, better brake lights, high viz gear), and NEVER BECOME COMPLACENT. There was a gentleman from Texas who led motorcycle safety seminars all over the country, i.e. he was justifiably famous. Said that he wouldn't even ride in mornings and evenings when deer strikes happen most. The guy was probably a better, safer rider with better gear than you or I will ever have. He had to make an evening run to catch a wedding in the next (US) state, hit a deer, and was killed. That's life, on a motorcycle or naught. There are inherent risks. We just try to avoid all the stupid ones, and reduce the impact when we are stupid. 馃榿

As to the turn signals, the best information on adding lights to a BMW CANBUS controlled electrical system is this: It's a crap shoot. Luck of the draw. The more your light differentiates from what CANBUS expects that light socket to pull, the more CANBUS will be fooled into posting a lamp out warning. Now, in the case of LED turn signals, that might work out better than a main headlight, because they aren't drawing 55W to begin with. The variation between what those (presumably) halogen signals draw now, and what the LED draw, may not be significant enough to trigger the warning. Then again, signals blink/strobe, and that variation plus the intermittent draw might be enough of a difference to trigger.

The ABSOLUTE easiest solution for the non-perfectionists among us is also the cheapest. Just live with it. You know what's telling you. You know it's wrong, it's a false warning, and if you have any doubt, just check all your lights every once in a while (ya know, kind of like the good ol' days before the technology creep?).

Registered
I would say it's best to have blues and two's on all the time but ive seen M/C cops knock off their bikes. Experience has taught me that if i think a car is going to shoot out of a side turning across my path, he/she probably is. Throttle off and cover the brakes

Registered
Can i ask? Can you fit LED bulbs to the front turn signals without bringing up an error light?.
In some surveys, I've read states that wearing red draws( jacket/helmet) the eye more than yellow hi-viz. Red is one of the last colors that a person going blind can see. Another survey stated too many lamps on m/c(front or rear) can transfix the eye and sort of put the viewer into a semi-trance( cheap LSD). It has also been found a person looking at these lamps will increase speed to get closer to the source. LED lamps can cause this more than normal halogen bulbs due to the color spectrum.
This company makes LED bulbs for BMW that replace the turn signal bulbs with brighter looking LED bulbs that do not cause CANBUS errors.

Dynamic Motorrad

Premium Member
All this and I STILL got rear ended... Some idiot watching the car next to him at traffic lights instead of the motorcycle ahead.

Happily it was at walking pace. Punted me forward a few feet, folded my rear fender / mudguard under, and $4000 damage to the car that hit me.

Grateful for the video cam too! It's barely visible - the round thing next to, and to the left of, the light above the number plate.

Tire Wheel Helmet High-visibility clothing Motor vehicle

Premium Member
Try Weiser - I think that's what I have in both the R1200RT and R1250R.

I know I have something that's not stock BMW but don't remember the make.

Registered
2018 R1200RT
I know a police motorcyclist who was hit from behind on the hard shoulder while he had his blue flashing lights and flashing rear red lights on.
Drunks just LOVE those pretty little red & blue "guide" lights. The pretty colors make it easier for them to see with their blurry, dilated eyes, so that they can drive right up and over them!

Premium Member
I had another look and no, the the indicators on my RT are stock, I changed only those on the R.

But here's my solution (rear only) for the RT:

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle Helmet

Registered
These are helpful discussions, and I agree with much of what has been shared.

I have a 2010 RT-Skene lights front and back. Clearwater up front where I run ONE yellow lens and ONE white. Last week at a rest stop on the way south (trying to find somewhere warmer than WI), two truckers came up to me and commented on the lights up front. 'I can see you for a mile away-I'm a rider and couldn't figure out what it was'
The second guy was from WI also and he was pulling a 5th wheel. 'You stand out in the line of traffic.' he said. It's exactly what I hope to have happen-I want to be seen. And I don't have the Clearwater lights up more than 50% during the day. And I also have a BrakeFree light for my helmet.

Good discussion

Registered
2018 R1200RT
These are helpful discussions, and I agree with much of what has been shared.

I have a 2010 RT-Skene lights front and back. Clearwater up front where I run ONE yellow lens and ONE white. Last week at a rest stop on the way south (trying to find somewhere warmer than WI), two truckers came up to me and commented on the lights up front. 'I can see you for a mile away-I'm a rider and couldn't figure out what it was'
The second guy was from WI also and he was pulling a 5th wheel. 'You stand out in the line of traffic.' he said. It's exactly what I hope to have happen-I want to be seen. And I don't have the Clearwater lights up more than 50% during the day. And I also have a BrakeFree light for my helmet.

Good discussion
By "Skene lights", I assume that you mean their Proto blaster LED. Do you have yellow or white ones mounted?
Thanks.

Registered
By "Skene lights", I assume that you mean their Proto blaster LED. Do you have yellow or white ones mounted?
Thanks.
I'll have to look tomorrow! Yes, photo blaster, blinking lights. I'll check color and let you know

Registered
2018 R1200RT
I believe the correct term is 鈥淧hoton Blaster.鈥 Ya know, photon, as in particle of light.
close enough to their silly name, IMHO 馃ぃ
when ya type 90 WPM and think at 30 WPM, accuracy can sometimes be a bit ~~~ compromised. 馃槒馃檭馃榿

Registered
2011 R1200 RT
Had Clearwater Darla lights w/ yellow lens covers mounted on Heed crashbars on my Duc Multistrada and they were very conspicuous (have a friend w/ same lights on his Multistrada and the Darlas are the 1st thing that I notice in my mirrors when he's riding behind me). Plan to fork mount these on my '11 RT after removing the current lights that came on the RT.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts