BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on the RT forum. I have recently sold my Softail and would like to try a BMW. I have seriously considered a K1200LT but am put off with the weight and length. I still want something good for two-up riding and test rode a 2012 R1200RT today at the dealer.

I was very impressed with the 1200 and have also ridden the R1100RT and like it. Since I do not want to buy a new bike I have been looking for early R1200RTs in my area. I would like to do my own work and realize that the 2005-2006 models have the servo assisted brakes. From what I have read the brakes work well so I am not ruling those out. The 2007 and later bikes are quite a bit higher and fewer are advertised.

I have a few questions for the experts?

One local bike has ~20K miles and looks great from the pictures ($10500). It does not have ESA but seems to have everything else including a stereo which my wife and I have appreciated on our old Road Glide. From what I have read ESA often becomes stuck and is expensive to fix.

The question I have is how can I tell if it is the model for shorter riders?

They did not have ESA. I am 6' feet tall and do not want to buy a shorter bike. The current owner is not the original.

Is there a certain VIN code?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
For an 05 or 06, $10,500 is too much. The mileage is almost new for a BMW R bike. Your talking a seven or eight year old beemer and $7500 would be better. No ESA is a good thing in an older bike, makes it easier for you to justify buying some Ohlins or Wilber shocks which will make a huge improvement in suspension. There is a reason for the price jump in the 07 and newer bikes. Now that the riding season is winding down, good prices can be worked on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you are asking if it is a low suspension model, the answer is that the stock low suspension RT was first introduced in 2009. ESA and heated seats are not offered with the low suspension model, though I believe all the other possible options are. Some people have had their pre 09 RTs lowered, but I have read that is pretty expensive, involving new shocks, as well as cutting down both the center and side stands.

Don't know if the RT height is an issue for you.....but if you are vertically challanged, I can share my experience. In 09 I bought a used 07 RT without ESA and have loved it . Since I am short (29 inch inseam), I eventually got my boots built up to avoid those parking lot drops and difficulties at stops. Pretty much solved the problem. I recently got a deal on a low seat, and am contemplating having it customized for more comfort. If comfortable enough, I will probably have my boots "lowered". Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite movies, but I get tired of the Peter Boyle comparisons!

·
Registered
25 Posts
At 6' tall inseam should not be an issue. I have a 30" inseam and do well with the stock height and low seat on my 2005RT. Stad=ndard height seat is 32 or 33" high.
Check cycletrader.com. I found mine there and got a great deal last Aug. If you find one with the low seat, I have a standard hight seat to sell, not heated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
jrhSeattle said:
Don't know if the RT height is an issue for you.....!
Missed the mention of your height. A regular RT ought to fit you fine at 6'. If it has the low seat, you can get a regular seat from the dealer. There are two positions either the regular or low seat can be mounted in, so you should be fine. A lot of people find the stock seats uncomfortable, but you may not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been looking at some bikes today and have been away from a computer.

I was hoping to avoid buying a bike with a lower seat since I am somewhat tall. Thanks for the clarification on the 2009 models.

I have been looking for some time and have not seen any R1200RTs for less than $9500 in my area (front range Colorado). There have been some R1150RTs for around $7500 and the 2007 and later are more like $12-13000.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Labrat8 said:

I was hoping to avoid buying a bike with a lower seat since I am somewhat tall. Thanks for the clarification on the 2009 models.

I have been looking for some time and have not seen any R1200RTs for less than $9500 in my area (front range Colorado). There have been some R1150RTs for around $7500 and the 2007 and later are more like $12-13000.
Heck, I might sell you my 07 for 12K! (I'd keep the top case and the interior luggage for sure). I would think you could get them to come down some unless the bikes are farkeled plenty and low miles. After all, winter is coming. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Labrat8 said:

The R1200RT is an excellent bike for riding the Rockies west of you. Nimble and light versus other kinds of bikes in its class. The flat twin's torque is sweet on those twisting roads. It is a popular bike in Colorado, designed by those Munich boys who have the Alps out their back door in southern Germany. There are reasons why dealers locally can sell them at the price they are asking. I've owned an '07 for almost six problem free years, and wouldn't hesitate to get the ESA option again. Has been flawless, and I change the settings on the fly all the time. Would mention I also own an '05 K1200S. It comes with the servo-assisted brakes. No big deal. They work great and there haven't been any problems. And when the engine is off and I'm moving the bike around, there's still plenty of braking power. IMO, find the RT that sings to your heart, don't worry about the vintage, and have a blast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the bikes that I have looked at come with after market seats, top cases and engine guards in some cases.

I pulled the trigger on a 2005 and will pick it up tomorrow. It has new tires, engine guards, Russel day long seat, after market windshield, side cases, a top case and less than 20K miles. It also has the factory stereo which interested my wife and I. Cases looked unused and the entire bike looks new IMHO.

Steve - Thanks for posting. I have your book and it has me licking my chops to get out and explore this state. Nice job. The pictures and information are great. I feel like a little kid around Christmas.

:bmw:

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
jrhSeattle said:
I eventually got my boots built up to avoid those parking lot drops and difficulties at stops. Pretty much solved the problem.
I did the exact same thing - no longer an issue (29" inseam as well)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts