BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Considering LT's

2K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Tomko 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum but thought this would be a great place to pick some qualified brains. I'm at the very early stages of purchasing a used bike and from what I can tell, I definitely want the LT. My question is to anyone who owns an LT and would like to chime in. Considering your first purchase of an LT, what would you do differently in your research to ensure all of the appropriate questions are answered. ie... year, price, final drive issues, electrical, blah blah blah.......?

Thanks for chiming in and I look forward to your responses.

Tom

#27 ·
Another back-end consideration is maintenance. Warranties are all well and good, but that necessitates having a dealership that is close to you. It looks like you have one within 30 miles and another within 90 (follow http://www.bmwmotorcyclesus.com/dealerlocator/dealerlocatorlist.cfm?zipcode=&city=spokane&states=WA ). Of course, a 2003 prob will not come with a warranty. However, you will have to deal with maintaining your new purchase. That means paying a dealership, or doing it yourself (the preferred mode). I'd call up your closest dealerships and get pricing info on the 12000 mile services and the 6000 mile oil changes. That way you can determine if it is worth your own time.

For comparisons sake, the price for the 12k/24k service at the Orlando and Daytona, Fl dealerships ranged from $1000 to $1200. Which is a large reason to do it yourself. The costs do seem to fluctuate, so do call and check them out. To get parts pricing info, one of the better sites is http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ . They have individual parts and kits (the 12k kit is $85 plus s/h). The majority of the dealership cost is labor, so the savings really does get passed on to you if you do it yourself.

If you are interested in doing your own work, there is a large amount of resources available here, and the differing repair manuals can help as well. There are occasional Tech Sessions that are hosted where people get together and do maintenance/upgrades/etc on the bikes. Very hands on, and one of the best ways to learn about the bike.

Hope that helps,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.