BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this online. Certainly a friend of motorcyclist.

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/everyday/news/3709-the-face-of-hatred-without-bounds

(Taken from the article above)
The reason this member of our federal government makes news here is what she has meant to motorcycling and motorcyclists during her time in office. Rep. Giffords is co-chair of the Congressional Motorcycle Caucus with Representative Walt Jones of North Carolina. She is an avid rider and takes to the roads on two wheels whenever she Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her BMWgets some time to do so. With the Motorcycle Industry Council in 2009, she recorded a public service announcement for Ride to Work Day in which she explained the practical side to using a motorcycle and encouraged everyone to get out and ride one. Right in her bio section on Rep. Giffords’ reelection website she states that her dream is to one day ride down through the Americas into Argentina.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That is a nice looking Toaster.

I hope she has a full and speedy recovery to enjoy riding again.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Tarkusny said:
My heart goes out to the victims and heir families. I posted a comment on the article because of the hate reference. My comments below.

You're looking for answers that don't exist because you misunderstand the shooter. He is not mentally challenged, but rather mentally ill. While he is not yet officially diagnosed, Psychiatrists agree that he is likely Schizophrenic. None of the victims were hated. It was Representative Gifford's notoriety and perceived vulnerability that made her a target. If you recall the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan, you will find significant parallels. While I enjoyed your article, and agree we need more like Gabby Gifford in our representative population to protect our rights including motorcycling, it highlighted the fact that society doesn't consider mental illness important enough to understand or properly treat.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, just add some clarity.

·
Registered
820 Posts
7seas10 said:
I wish you the best for you and your family Gabrielle!

God bless you!
How can the BMW community send this message to her? How many folks could get to Tucson for a rally at the hospital or rehab facility as soon as she is sufficiently aware? I know I could. (Advantage of being retired and spending the winter in Las Vegas)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Moot said:
How can the BMW community send this message to her? How many folks could get to Tucson for a rally at the hospital or rehab facility as soon as she is sufficiently aware? I know I could. (Advantage of being retired and spending the winter in Las Vegas)
Have thought of this as well. It would be a great idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts