BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Ken is home and resting I'm pleased to announce that Ken won the 10N10 long distance motorcycle rally taking place out of Salt Lake City this past week and a half. Ken rode 10,728 miles in 10 days taking him through the gulf coast ahead of hurricane Issac into Florida (where his ride report will tell you he still got pretty wet) then up the eastern seaboard and back across the Great Lakes and back to SLC via the Midwest.

This was Ken's 4th rally this year in which he won two and placed second in the other two. I'm guessing the /6 is a pretty good LD platform; which is not only a great ride for pleasure but a great setup for grinding out the miles.

Good job Ken!

:dance:

·
Registered
60 Posts
ErnieA said:
Now that Ken is home and resting I'm pleased to announce that Ken won the 10N10 long distance motorcycle rally taking place out of Salt Lake City this past week and a half. Ken rode 10,728 miles in 10 days taking him through the gulf coast ahead of hurricane Issac into Florida (where his ride report will tell you he still got pretty wet) then up the eastern seaboard and back across the Great Lakes and back to SLC via the Midwest.

This was Ken's 4th rally this year in which he won two and placed second in the other two. I'm guessing the /6 is a pretty good LD platform; which is not only a great ride for pleasure but a great setup for grinding out the miles.

Good job Ken!

:dance:
Awesome , congrats

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That is astonishing ...next year is IBA time again. I hope he runs in it, so that i get to follow along here on my computer.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow, Meese! That's quite awesome.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I was reading the daily reports on the LD Rider mail list. They were using nicknames for the riders (MERA policy), so I did not know who the riders were, but was hoping Ken was one of them.

CONGRATS KEN!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
That's neat. Congratulations, Ken.

I gotta attend one of your lecture/presentations some time. Maybe you could stop in the Midwest, in the middle of a rally and give us 60 minutes on how it's done? :D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
The ONLY way I could ever think of doing that many miles in that many days is by airplane.

Ken, you freakin' ROCK. :clapping:

But what we REALLY want to know is: Did take along a spare final drive? :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Awesome accomplishment... I can't wait to hear how the K1600 held up, the tire situation and overall riding comfort. I've seen a few pictures of the bike and it is not stock! Not too many mods, but you would not get his bike and mine mixed up.

Last year I did one (1) 1,000 mile Iron Butt and that was enough for me to say no more and just start to really appreciate what it must take to do 10 in a row. No, got to take that back, I can't even begin to appreciate what it most take.

Congratulations on the win and just completing it.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Great job, Ken! Sounds like the perfect primer schedule for another Iron butt run. You have my everlasting admiration for the drive & stamina you possess. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wow...congrats to ya. That outta get you into the next Iron Butt Rally.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
+1 Congrats on the feat!

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Thanks, guys, it's been an interesting month. ;)

22,000 miles in 30 days through 40 states:

Including a 6-day ButtLite 6IX Rally, where I ran 6,666 miles in 6 days through 19 states and took 2nd place:

And the 10n10 Rally, where I ran 10,728 miles in 10 days through 35 states and took 1st:

That puts the GTL at 36K miles, or out of BMW warranty in just over 5 months . . .

And the only proper way to celebrate all of that is with a sundae bigger than your head:

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Unbelievable!

Someday after everything heals, let us know how the bike handles? Any service, oil, tire issues?

Really can't wait to read about the month. That has got to be a first.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Congrats on a job well done (as usual).
Two questions:
1. Were you able to get the service in Utah you asked about?
2. What seat do you use?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Congrats Ken! Pretty awesome average mileage per day! :D

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
"And the only proper way to celebrate all of that is with a sundae bigger than your head:"

Obviously, finishing that sundae was also an awesome feat. Congrats.....

Denny

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
733 miles a day average for a month is awesome Ken :thumb: . What would be the average daily mileage if you subtract the days you didn't ride if there were any ?. It looks like you were within 4 miles of me twice.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Heck, I just want to know where ya got the sundae!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is unreal If I do 600 miles in a day I can hardly straighten up. And for sure the next day I'm not going to do anything near that. Can't even imagine how you string together 10 1K days.

Ken you da man!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Not bad! :histerica

Congratulations Ken.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts