BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, All. I have just joined this site and have spent way too much time reading and learning!! :) I am seriously considering an LT as my next ride but must confess to some mixed feelings based on my research here.

Some background. I returned to riding 2 years ago after many years away and have racked 10K on my '03 Suzuki Volusia. Vol has been/is a great bike but the whine from the pillion is getting worse. So, off I go to find a suitable replacement that we can both enjoy. What a kick! Looking for a new bike is almost as much fun as riding and here in the frozen North (S. Ont, Canada) about all you can do between freeze and thaw.

In any case, yesterday I visited Open Road BMW in Aurora, North of Toronto and found a demo '05 gold with 1700 KM (about 1000 mi) already discounted $2k from list to $28K CAD (prices are higher here, it seems). I don't have the final numbers yet but I am being promised some aggressive prices.

So, the questions are:
1. How serious is this wobble thing that seems to infect the '05's?
2. Is it mandatory to plan on dropping it?
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31.
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know?

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help.

BTW, one of the best M/C sites I have seen!

Thanks for all your opinions.

Geoff

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
1. If you run your front tire at 42 psi and rear at 48 psi you will not have a wobble problem until the tires are worn out from regular wear. Use BMW recommend pressures and it will start very soon. If the used bike has been running at low pressures negotiate new tires into the purchase price - they are already toasted even if they have lots of tread left - the problem is "scalloping". Check your pressure every time you ride.

2. I've owned mine for 5 years and have not dropped it - along with many others here.
Pay attention to what you are doing and you will have no problem. Stay off the front brake on gravel or dirt at slow speeds. With your experience you'll get the hang of the LT in a couple of weeks - no problem.
I would recommend not having a pillion during this time.

3. You might want to investigate buying a used 05 in the states and importing it - based your price of $28K CAN I think you can find an excellent low mileage example in Michigan or New York for perhaps $7,000 CAN less. It might take a bit of shopping and travel but 05's are popping up used all the time right now.

4. You're about to make a great choice - don't let all the negative naysaying naybobs influence you - for two up spirited riding there is nothing even close.;)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Welcome to our world of madness!!!:thumb:
You will most definitely love the heated grips and heated seats, as well as the very well designed fairing and windshield.:p
The bike can give you that spirited ride, yet will keep the pillion happy (an quiet)!:bmw:
1. How serious is this wobble thing that seems to infect the '05's? Just ride it!
2. Is it mandatory to plan on dropping it? Maybe... but don't sweat it!
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31. Can't help you there...!
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know? Moving from any bike to the LT will take some getting used to it. Low speed can feel intimidating at first, but just keep the front wheel straight and use the rear brake only.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
brantvol16 said:
Hello, All. I have just joined this site and have spent way too much time reading and learning!! :) I am seriously considering an LT as my next ride but must confess to some mixed feelings based on my research here.

Some background. I returned to riding 2 years ago after many years away and have racked 10K on my '03 Suzuki Volusia. Vol has been/is a great bike but the whine from the pillion is getting worse. So, off I go to find a suitable replacement that we can both enjoy. What a kick! Looking for a new bike is almost as much fun as riding and here in the frozen North (S. Ont, Canada) about all you can do between freeze and thaw.

In any case, yesterday I visited Open Road BMW in Aurora, North of Toronto and found a demo '05 gold with 1700 KM (about 1000 mi) already discounted $2k from list to $28K CAD (prices are higher here, it seems). I don't have the final numbers yet but I am being promised some aggressive prices.

So, the questions are:
1. How serious is this wobble thing that seems to infect the '05's?
2. Is it mandatory to plan on dropping it?
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31.
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know?

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help.

BTW, one of the best M/C sites I have seen!

Thanks for all your opinions.

Geoff
Geoff

Fill out your profile so we can see where you are from in Canada. I am in Caledon, ON own a 1999 K1200LT and it's great. I use Open Road for my sevice. If you are around sometime drop in for a coffee. PM me and I'll give you my number.

Garry

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments - not sure about the import strategy but the price variable is stunning! The '05 I'm considering is technically new since it has never been registered and qualifies for full warranty etc.

Garry, I have upated my profile partially. I assume that your experience with Open Road and Paul has been satisfactory?

Thanks, guys

Geoff

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can speak on coming from the Volusai, I just bought a 2002lt after riding an INtruder (800). The lt actually is easier to handle! Rides like a dream. The only problem I have had is the comfort factor when sitting still at lights or whatever. I think that really just takes some time to build your confidence.
Dropping it? Well God bless any one who has had one and not dropped it. I owned mine five minutes before I dropped it coming out of the dealer lot on an off camber turn into traffic (guess that is why the test ride didn't use that entrance!!) NO big deal, the bumpers saved it. Just be careful putting up on center stand and taking off and do not stop with the front wheel turned. If it drops get off and pick it up. YOur pillion will love you for buying it, that's what caused me to get mine. She actually told me to keep the intruder too but I am thinking of selling it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lt

You will not regret the decision. Sure, the 800# high c.g. beast is a handful at low speeds, especially for those who are under six feet tall. But, fear not. Dropping her a few times is no big deal. Just don't fight her when she starts to go down as you will get hurt. Bail safely and try again. I now have over 15,000 miles on mine and I love it.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
brantvol16 said:
Thanks for the comments - not sure about the import strategy but the price variable is stunning! The '05 I'm considering is technically new since it has never been registered and qualifies for full warranty etc.

Garry, I have upated my profile partially. I assume that your experience with Open Road and Paul has been satisfactory?

Thanks, guys

Geoff
Nope, it is still a used bike at 1K... you can buy a brand new or used one for much less in the US. I would check out Detroit BMW - a four hour drive or so? They have gotten good reviews...

Keep your eye on the classifieds - be ready with cash on hand, your passport, and I think you can do MUCH better by buying from a member on this site. Almost every one here babies their rides and is pretty fanatical about maintenance. Check out this recent post from Phoenix, no rain, no salt, no dirt, for $15,999 - roughly $18,600 CAN. This would be an awesome ride back to Toronto if you go north through the Rockies then head east:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6630

I know that several guys here have imported bikes into Canada - and from what I understand the paperwork is minimal and the duty is very reasonable as well. Not to mention you have all of those friendly Canadian border customs inspectors (wearing bulletproof vests and sidearms) to contend with, eh?! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Geoff,

One thing you have to remember about a forum such as this, people want to report and fix problems for the most part. You get to here the problems and translate that into everyone is having these problems.

The LT is a somewhat complex machine and with any machine there are problems if you have a large enough statistical sample. The LT is an excellent machine overall.

At this level of motorcycle you have two choices. Go to "there" web sites and you will find problems. So it comes down to the question, do you want to drive the sexiest, best handling touring motorcycle, or one with more torque and lower center of gravity.

Decide soon, winter is almost over.

Rick

·
Registered
275 Posts
Back into riding after many years off like you..Went from a VTX 1300 to the LT..
As most have said, just mind the front wheel being straight while stopping if using front brake and avoid using front brake at slow speeds..be mindful of terrain when putting feet down in dirt or gravel..
I just finished the Exp Rider course with MSF and tho' it was work, I feel much more confident now..
That all being said, this is a sweet riding and handling bike..I have no regrets ever buying it..Rode it from Tampa, FL to Las Vegas, NV a week after buying it and had an enjoyable trip..That was my learning curve..To qote: "Just ride it!!"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, had to take a dinner break. RonKMiller, I will definitely look into the Detroit dealer situation. You are right - about 4 hours away - and from waht i gather from this site, that is a before coffee type of outing for you guys on your LT's. I am so looking forward to the long distance rides that you write about but I am not sure I'd want to tackle the trip from Phoenix to here as ride One!

Glad to hear that the transition from the Vol shouldn't be too tough. I will be taking an upgrade course here this year and was wondering about keeping the Vol for the course so i didn't have to worry about the weight & handling challenges of the bigger bike.

Is it really that easy to pick it up when (if) you drop it? No damage? I took a look at the front "bumpers" and can see how they protect but what about the side bags?

You guys are great!

Geoff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question - I thought that with the linked brakes, that it didn't matter which way I applied braking, I would get braking action on both wheels. Are the brakes not linked? I guess a better question is how do they work - does the back brake work independently of the front?

Geoff

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
brantvol16 said:
Sorry, had to take a dinner break. RonKMiller, I will definitely look into the Detroit dealer situation. You are right - about 4 hours away - and from waht i gather from this site, that is a before coffee type of outing for you guys on your LT's. I am so looking forward to the long distance rides that you write about but I am not sure I'd want to tackle the trip from Phoenix to here as ride One!

Glad to hear that the transition from the Vol shouldn't be too tough. I will be taking an upgrade course here this year and was wondering about keeping the Vol for the course so i didn't have to worry about the weight & handling challenges of the bigger bike.

Is it really that easy to pick it up when (if) you drop it? No damage? I took a look at the front "bumpers" and can see how they protect but what about the side bags?

You guys are great!

Geoff
Phoenix to Toronto is a piece o' cake on an LT with good boots and an Aerostitch suit or BMW riding gear. You'll be a veteran on it by the time you get home... :thumb:

Just remember to turn the heated grips and seat on high while under way...

(which one newbie I know (ahem) 5 years ago forgot to do when the temp dipped below freezing for 200 kilometers or so. DOH! :eek: )

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
brantvol16 said:

Thanks, guys

Geoff
Yes, dealings have been good. I got a great price on tires last year from Paul. I bought mine 2 years ago for $16,000 cdn. Last year We did 2 up about 12000km coast to coast about 12 days riding. This year heading to Vegas, Mexico, Florida then home only 10,000 km. K1200LT is a great bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am so impressed with the length of the rides - you aren't just pulling the leg of the new guy are you? :D

What a contrast from the cruiser rides that I have been taking. You know the kind - 30 minutes to Port Dover, 2 hours drinking coffee at Tim's and 30 minutes home. Can't wait! The longest I have done to date is ... no, never mind, not telling it is so lame in comparison.

RonK, I will probably forget the heaters since they will be new to me but I sure do enjoy them in the car so maybe not.

Garry, is 1000 km per day fairly standard and easy to do?

This thread is going to cost me large, I can just feel it!

Geoff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Easy to pick up? I am 5'9'' and 165 in good shape. If I wasn't in good shape it may be hard. The only problem I have had was when I dropped off the center stand (hadn't read how to get it off) in my garage and the floor is very slick, I had to buy one of those non-skid garage mats to get some traction. Always wear good boots. Anyway, the trouble is well worth the ride!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
#1 Just ride it!
#2 Just drop it! (no biggie)
#3 Just buy it!
#4 Just say, "A V what??? :rolleyes:

Great advice in the thread. As said above, here is where we bring problems to fix them. Don't be overwhelmed. Also once said here...
"This bike answers questions I never even asked!"

Welcome to the nicest board of it's kind on the web. Once you've settled in take time to visit the little "donate" button at the bottom. :D Lotta bang for the buck 'round here!

·
Registered
216 Posts
brantvol16 said:

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help. Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Vancouver here... my wife and I bought our 05 LT last March for $27 with 350 km. Ours has everything on it except a GPS. I understand Vancouver prices are higher than Toronto's. The price should be lower for an 05 at this time of year, even if it has all the bells & whistles. Look at the American pricing. You could probably get that bike for $21? in the US. The dealership probably bought the bike in 05 when our dollar was in the 78 to 80 cent range, now we are 6 to 7 cents better than that so the dealership could be tough to move on the price.

If you buy it, don't worry about the bike, it's fabulous. I couldn't wait to ride it every day I could. After I put 1000 km on it, got the oil changed, I went to Calgary in June for the superbike races, by then I had 3000 km on it. On one of the straight stretches I took the bike up to 205 kmph. I also got my eyes opened when I was taking the bike through some 30 kmph corners at 110+. It handles as good as anything I've ever ridden, big or small. Buy it and enjoy life!

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
222 Posts
We'll have to go for a ride.

I purchased an 02 lt in october 05 in Rochester from Country Rode BMW, after looking around in the Toronto area market for a while and sensing that the Canadian market was way too high compared to almost everything in the US. Really nice dealer with great attitude about customer service. Lent me dealer plates to drive home and gave me his fed ex envelope for mailing them back because I forgot my dealer's plates in Burlington.I've ridden the bike a few times since purchasing and have enjoyed every minute of it. Rides like a dream. The importing into Canada was easier than if I had tried to bring a corned beef sandwich back. No taxes, no modifications, no border hassle.
I paid just a tad over 10K CDN for the bike. It has most of the main things. CD, heated etc.etc., as Geoff in Caledon said, he paid close to 16k last year for a 99. ( think tha's what you indicated). So you can see that there can be some fantastic savings.
Havn't dropped it yet, Thank G-D. Haven't taken any passengers but the rear seat sure feels comfortable to me, not that I'll ever go there.

Hope I don't have any wobbles, but I had wobbles from scalloping on the bridgestones on my ST1100. Correct pressure will keep the scallops away.

So far so good.
When you get it post on the Canadian forum and we will meet up with the others in the area this spring/summer.
I'm in Hamilton so can go easily in any direction in Southern Ontario.

See you soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts