BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten a E-Mail or Phone call from BMW yet to confirm there order information ?

·
Registered
519 Posts
iride4u said:
Has anyone gotten a E-Mail or Phone call from BMW yet to confirm there order information ?
Nothing "official" from BMW. I spoke to the sales manager at the dealership that I've been working with on the pre-sale, and was told that they submitted the info in the system and they can see my pre-sale in the system, but I hate taking the word of a sales person.

I'd feel much better if I got something confirming from BMW telling me what place I'm in line....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nothing here either - I've spoken with my dealer and he said he talked to BMW and they told him they had a lot of personnel at the Long Beach show and were slowly going to work their way through the nearly 200 pre-orders they'd received.

He told me to be patient, I'm trying, but I'm not necessarily known for that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was told that the reason for providing a copy of your licence is to insure that dealers do not say they have more preorders than they actually do, so they can get floor inventory to sell before they are available to all the other dealers. I guess this happened with the S1000RR's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How does the "pre sale" work? Do you have to make a firm commitment to take the bike? Does money have to change hands?

·
Registered
44 Posts
jjscsix said:
How does the "pre sale" work? Do you have to make a firm commitment to take the bike? Does money have to change hands?

There is an official form that the buyer and the dealer have to fill out. Also as mentioned a copy of the buyers licence. As to putting money down, that is between you and the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The first time I went in and discussed the matter I was told that a hand shake would be sufficient. That lasted untill BMW started their official preorder campaign. I was then asked to put some money down. I really never asked just how binding this deal is since I'm pretty well set on the purchase. I have already sold the LT and can't wait until May. This is worse than a 6 year old waiting for Santa and much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
topsarge said:
The first time I went in and discussed the matter I was told that a hand shake would be sufficient. That lasted untill BMW started their official preorder campaign. I was then asked to put some money down. I really never asked just how binding this deal is since I'm pretty well set on the purchase. I have already sold the LT and can't wait until May. This is worse than a 6 year old waiting for Santa and much more expensive.
:p you guys are cracking me up! If I keep hanging around in here, I'm going to get the bug!! :histerica

·
Registered
368 Posts
My local dealer called me last Saturday (week before XMas) morning and said "we would like you to come in today and give us a $2K deposit so we can complete your preorder".....my reply "I'll bet you do" and "all due respect, but I only put $250 and $500 down on my last Mercedes and Infiniti car preorders which were considerably larger purchases." His reply..."what would you feel comfortable with?"....my answer to
that was "another dealer"

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
beekeeper said:
There is an official form that the buyer and the dealer have to fill out. Also as mentioned a copy of the buyers licence. As to putting money down, that is between you and the dealer.
At Lone Star they asked for a fully refundable $500.00 Deposit. If I do not like the bike when it comes in I get my money back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
katnapinn said:
At Lone Star they asked for a fully refundable $500.00 Deposit. If I do not like the bike when it comes in I get my money back.
Same deal that I got from my dealer. Dealer originally said that there would only be 1750 GTL's to the USA in April. I do not know how many BMW dealers there are in the USA or if there will be a quota per dealer. The pre order form said that all pre orders would be filled before any dealer stock. Since the pre order offer is open until the end of March it would seem to me that production should meet the pre order numbers. On the other hand if production does not start until after the pre order deadline then can we really expect delivery of a GTL in April or May. My pre order was sent into BMW by my dealer the morning after the forms hit the e-mail. I am # 3 at my dealer but have no confirmation from BMW, only from dealer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JonfromCB said:
My local dealer called me last Saturday (week before XMas) morning and said "we would like you to come in today and give us a $2K deposit so we can complete your preorder".....my reply "I'll bet you do" and "all due respect, but I only put $250 and $500 down on my last Mercedes and Infiniti car preorders which were considerably larger purchases." His reply..."what would you feel comfortable with?"....my answer to
that was "another dealer"
I can only assume that no order can be considered binding when they can't even give you a firm price yet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Atleast no one has heard from BMW that should make everyone feel better.
The dealer in Fort Collins Colorado thinks that BMW should start contacting us in early January.
He thinks that the release times may be late February to the Magazines and demos in March.
Preorders in late April or May.
Lets hope that he is right.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got a confirmation email from the dealer that my order had been faxed to BMW. That's all. Been doing business with Bob's BMW for over 20 years, so any deposit would be refundable. I can't imagine how a deposit would not be refundable if you don't yet know the actual price of the product.

·
Registered
519 Posts
topsarge said:
...I really never asked just how binding this deal is since I'm pretty well set on the purchase. I have already sold the LT and can't wait until May. This is worse than a 6 year old waiting for Santa and much more expensive.
Ditto. And to make it worse, this time of year is a great time to ride here in AZ....come May, it will be HOT here!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
iride4u said:
Atleast no one has heard from BMW that should make everyone feel better.
The dealer in Fort Collins Colorado thinks that BMW should start contacting us in early January.
He thinks that the release times may be late February to the Magazines and demos in March.
Preorders in late April or May.
Lets hope that he is right.
My dealer said that he expected BMW to contact the pre buyers prior to the production of the K1600's, so, maybe they will start producing by February which would make some available in March for evaluation and road testing. This would make April or May deliveries possible. Hope so. I wonder how long it takes to ship a bike from where they are manufactured to the USA. Anyone with prior experience? I also hope that if there are additional options available BMW will let us add them prior to production instead of having to add them at the dealer. For instance different seats, pillion arm rest, and engine guards.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rodeking said:
My dealer said that he expected BMW to contact the pre buyers prior to the production of the K1600's, so, maybe they will start producing by February which would make some available in March for evaluation and road testing. This would make April or May deliveries possible. Hope so. I wonder how long it takes to ship a bike from where they are manufactured to the USA. Anyone with prior experience? I also hope that if there are additional options available BMW will let us add them prior to production instead of having to add them at the dealer. For instance different seats, pillion arm rest, and engine guards.
Went through this process with the S1000RR. Was able to change the color of the bike up to a point in time. Already had all the available options, so I don't know if they could have been changed.

As for shipping (if memory serves me correctly), there was a proposed build date, which was then updated in the system to which the dealer had access. Turned out that they were shipped in batches, so there was at least a 3-4 week variability in build to delivery date.

Once they did start shipping, there was the opportunity to move up and down the queue as some people dropped off the pre-order list and others wanted to move up and down. There was two feet of snow on the ground with more forecast at the time, so some people were willing to wait a few weeks to take delivery.

Since the GT & GTL both only come in two colors and fully loaded, the ability to move up and down and get the desired bike should be even easier than with the S1000RR.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts