BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JimE was kind enough to send me a few yards of conductive thread, and I set about sewing it into the tip of the index finger on both of my gloves. It works great for being able to use the touchscreen while riding. I specifically am using an iPhone, but this will work with any of the glass touchscreen devices like Androids, iPod Touch, etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own any yet, but plan to pick some up. Since the iPhone isn't waterproof, I figure I'd never be wearing them and using the phone at the same time.

I did a little riding and testing last night, and they work 95% of the time. I may add a little more thread not that I see which part of my finger I most naturally use.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I did a little riding and testing last night, and they work 95% of the time. I may add a little more thread not that I see which part of my finger I most naturally use.
Glad it's working for you. 95% is better than I usually get while on the bike even if I remove my glove, what with the normal jostling while on the go.

Maybe after you get your solution tweaked you could post a photo of your final "contact patch". I'd be interested to see what you come up with as the optimum size of the patch.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't have a clue as to why conductive thread on the tip of a glove would make any touchscreen work better... It's pressure sensitive.. NOT conductive...

Better to fashion a rubber tit on the tip of your finger...Dip it in some liquid rubber. Let it form a sharp point...The reason your glove doesn't work well is because it spreads out the contact patch too much... Perhaps your thread is giving you a smaller contact patch....And in that case I guess it might seem to be an improvement over the glove itself...
Maybe glue a BB onto the tip of your glove...That'd be great till you stubbed your finger on something.

John

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The older phones used a PRESSURE screen with a resistive membrane in between thin plastic and a sheet of glass. The term "touch" screen really should not have been used with those, but it unfortunately was. The new technology is capacitive touch. No membrane, just a glass screen that detects capacitance. Your body is a great capacitor. Zero pressure is needed.

The thread has to contact the finger, BTW, so it must enter the glove. I've chosen to make a large-ish contact patch with a very random pattern, so that it's much like your finger touching the glass. Yesterday I was able to reliably type out a text message with it (while stopped of course).

The pressure screen on my gps works fine with gloves without the thread.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The random pattern seems to work well. Since the thread must touch the finger, I made sure to make it go over seams internally so there would be pressure against the finger. IE, enter the glove on one side of a seam, and exit on the other, loop around, repeat. After tweaking my first glove, and on the other two, I'm seeing nearly perfect performance.

Next up I'm going to build a handlebar-mounted switch to do answer/hang up and music control. It's very easy from an electrical perspective, I just have to figure out a good switch mounting solution and find a waterproof switch. I've considered hijacking the horn switch--who uses the horn anyway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts