BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don'tHave Tech # but it is the cable

Just had this repaired at San Jose BMW. They had to replace the cable to the relay box under the tank with a new cable that has a resistor to fix the problem.

Lonnie

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Service Bulletin No.: 13 001 05 (022)

It's #20 on the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) summary list - link in the HoW [k.4].

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lawrenc454 said:
Just had this repaired at San Jose BMW. They had to replace the cable to the relay box under the tank with a new cable that has a resistor to fix the problem.
Just for the record (in case someone searches on this in the future), nothing is replaced, but rather a small harness is added in the electrical box. One wire of the harness (with the little electronics pod) taps one of the Moronic's wires, and another is attached to a ground spade in the box.

·
Registered
275 Posts
mneblett said:
Just for the record (in case someone searches on this in the future), nothing is replaced, but rather a small harness is added in the electrical box. One wire of the harness (with the little electronics pod) taps one of the Moronic's wires, and another is attached to a ground spade in the box.
That is right. My dad's bike needed that surgery while mine was fine. It seems that this malady is sporadic and not all bikes are affected.

FWIW: The one thing that affects the fuel-gauge reading, is overfilling. If anyone has ever noticed that the fuel-gauge is responding very very slow after filling up, has tried to put too much go-go juice in the tank.
I experimented with this during my summer trip and every time I 'overfilled' ,the gauge responded very slow. YMMV

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Will take it in for warranty repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is considered over filling? I usually fill mine to the bottom of the neck. I know sometimes that it takes a long time to go up. One post said to make sure the key is in the "off" position before filling up. My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Billmer said:
What is considered over filling? I usually fill mine to the bottom of the neck. I know sometimes that it takes a long time to go up. One post said to make sure the key is in the "off" position before filling up. My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'
Do you leave it on the sidestand when filling? At least on my 2001, when I fill it to the bottom of the neck while on the sidestand, the gauge shows full when I ride away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I have it on the side stand when filling up. I have the new wire installed for the service bulletin. They want to put in a new unit to see if that fixes it. At this point they are just trying things. It's been in 4 times and they still haven't figured it out. I am to the point to where I can live with it. They said if the new unit doens't work then they want to replace the wiring harness. i won't go that far, it will never be right once they rip out the old harness and try to put a new one in.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'[/QUOTE]

My 99' never reads all the way full, even when up to and slightly in the neck (had to try it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts