BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while out riding we stop. When I started the bike there was no display on the computer. When I took off the odometer was not working. When I pulled over it started working again. Went back on the road and it stopped working again. While driving I tried the radio and it worked. I tried the brakes and the electrical assist worked. The curse control worked.

Things that did not work were:
High beam indicator
Turn signal indicators
Computer display
Gas line
Temp line
Gear indicator
Speedometer
Tachometer

I thought I had blown a fuse but things started to work again. The gear indicator came back but stayed in 5th for a bit before working in all gears. The center stand light was flashing fast, and everything went back to normal before I came to a place to stop again. We kept riding for about 100 more miles without any more problems.


The bike is an 05 and still under warranty until Apr 08. It is going in for the 40K Klms 24K Miles service on 2nd Aug. I will be telling them about it. But just wanted to see if anybody here had experienced anything like this.

Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
your earlier post, Manny seemed to indicate some other gremlings.. I recommended some electrical connector grease.. (dielectric).

You may need to also do that on the Speedo assembly connector.. ya know, low or poor batt. connection can give wierd symtoms like this, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will be taking it in for service next week. Will keep an eye on the battery. As for the connections I will wait until the warranty is up before I start messing with those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took the bike to the dealer for the 40,000 KLM service. Dropped it off on Wednesday so the valves could be checked when the engine was cold on Thursday. Drop back on Friday afternoon and they had the bike ready to go. Could not find the dash going out problem. I asked them why they put everything back on without fixing it. They said we thought you wanted it back to ride home 200 miles. I said I am going home but the bike is still under warranty until Apr 08. I would like it fixed please. I will check with them next week if they do not call by then. Monday (today) is a holiday up here. So the bike is at the dealers and I am home waiting for the call.
Will keep you updated on what they find and how it turns out.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a call from the dealer. They think the computer is the problem. It will take a couple of weeks to get one from Germany. Man that burns me as it is right in the middle of bike season. I am thinking about calling the company rep to see if they can get one here sooner. From what I have read it looks like Canada and the US use the same contact number for BMW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Bah . . .

This is about the 5th post I've seen where the dealer said, "Oh, we think it is the motronic." Bah.

The high beam indicator light is switched on from the left multifunction switch. There is no connection with the motronic.
The signal light indicators are connected to a flasher unit, which is connected to the motronic. However, the hi beam indicator is not on that circuit, so it cannot be the flasher unit that is causing the problem for all three.
The only thing that the three circuits have in common is a common ground path.
All of the other electronics that went out, then came back on, then went out, etc., have circuits that are bundled into the same wiring harness. These have a common connector. The only connection to the motronic is to the tachometer.

The only possible common path for all of these circuits that I can see is through the neutral safety switch, which shares the same ground circuit as the three lights and has three other wires going into the LCD, which also receives power from the fused battery circuit, and provides power to the gauges. I would check the neutral safety switch connector first; it may be loose or corroded. Put dielectric grease on the connectors. If that does not do it, I'd check the wiring harness connectors, clean and grease them up, and see if the problem goes away. The fact that it is intermittent suggests a bad connection somewhere. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got my bike back yesterday. The replaced the computer and the dash is working. The also replaced the passenger heated seat switch and the rear brake rotor all under warranty.

And the dealer completed my 40,000 klms service. Had the bike for a long run yesterday after picking it up and it ran fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,623 Posts
Newf said:
Well, I got my bike back yesterday. The replaced the computer and the dash is working. The also replaced the passenger heated seat switch and the rear brake rotor all under warranty.

And the dealer completed my 40,000 klms service. Had the bike for a long run yesterday after picking it up and it ran fine.
What was wrong with the rear brake rotor? My rear brake squeals like crazy below about 10 MPH when stopping. I asked the dealer about it and they said the only fix they know of us to change to EBC brand aftermarket pads which they offered to do for me (I'm assuming for free, but I didn't ask that). However, since the dealer is 120 miles away, I'm not making that trip just for noisy brakes.

Also, you mentioned earlier leaving the bike so they could check the valves cold. My dealer told me that the RT had to be cold for the valve check, but not the LT???

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Newf said:
... got my bike ... replaced the passenger heated seat switch and the rear brake rotor ...
See, Bill from Hamden: you were wrong! We always knew that it was the brake rotor that caused all these lights to go out!

Matt: congrats on getting the service completed. You do realize, though, that it is likely that the electronics were replaced at random and your problem may still return (since they did not see it, they do not know if they fixed it).

I'd make sure to have the wiring diagram to be able to analyze symptoms if they occur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Computer on 2005

Newf said:
Today while out riding we stop. When I started the bike there was no display on the computer. When I took off the odometer was not working. When I pulled over it started working again. Went back on the road and it stopped working again. While driving I tried the radio and it worked. I tried the brakes and the electrical assist worked. The curse control worked.

Things that did not work were:
High beam indicator
Turn signal indicators
Computer display
Gas line
Temp line
Gear indicator
Speedometer
Tachometer

I thought I had blown a fuse but things started to work again. The gear indicator came back but stayed in 5th for a bit before working in all gears. The center stand light was flashing fast, and everything went back to normal before I came to a place to stop again. We kept riding for about 100 more miles without any more problems.


The bike is an 05 and still under warranty until Apr 08. It is going in for the 40K Klms 24K Miles service on 2nd Aug. I will be telling them about it. But just wanted to see if anybody here had experienced anything like this.

Cheers
I had been having the same problem on my 2005. There is on fix the complete instrument cluster has to be replaced. Mind goes in this next Tuesday. The cluster cost is 1,200 dollars and labor is around 3 hours. My extended warranty is paying for it. The dealer that is doing it just replaced one two weeks ago. The Clymer manual also says there is no fix just replace the complete cluster. You will loss the mileage reading but they will put it in your book. The newer GT & RT they can reset the mileage but not the LT. Just another reason to purchase extended warranty. This is not usually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Voyager said:
What was wrong with the rear brake rotor? My rear brake squeals like crazy below about 10 MPH when stopping. I asked the dealer about it and they said the only fix they know of us to change to EBC brand aftermarket pads which they offered to do for me (I'm assuming for free, but I didn't ask that). However, since the dealer is 120 miles away, I'm not making that trip just for noisy brakes.

Also, you mentioned earlier leaving the bike so they could check the valves cold. My dealer told me that the RT had to be cold for the valve check, but not the LT???

Matt
My would sound like a truck when coming to a stop at about the same speed. They said the rotor was lose so they replaced it. The price on the work order was $577.00. I think all the valves have to be checked when cold. But I am not certain of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rdwalker said:
See, Bill from Hamden: you were wrong! We always knew that it was the brake rotor that caused all these lights to go out!

Matt: congrats on getting the service completed. You do realize, though, that it is likely that the electronics were replaced at random and your problem may still return (since they did not see it, they do not know if they fixed it).

I'd make sure to have the wiring diagram to be able to analyze symptoms if they occur.

I will keep an eye on it, The bike it under warranty until Apr 08. I am checking into an extended warranty but not sure if there is one available up here. I have talked with BMW Canada and they do not sell one. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on one.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
Newf said:
I think all the valves have to be checked when cold. But I am not certain of that.
You are correct!

BMW defines "cold" as engine temperature less than 95 degrees F(35 C).
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top