BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the typical, stereotypical, Barn Find. $200 later, it's home and I'm sussing out it's story. One week later I'm sorting out the garage for winter and it gets parked next to the LT.

The LT is One Big Chica. The 64 Honda Benly Tourer looks like it's 1/3rd actual size.

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Am I to understand that you got the Honda for $200??? You dog!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
deputy5211 said:

Tony, he's not a dog. He's a thief. I will officially offer double his purchase price. Does that make me a thief also? I sold my 1966 Honda 450 for $450.00 six months ago.
Robert

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deputy5211 said:
Indeed. I suspect he thought he was getting rid of a headache as the shifter doesn't actually appear to be attached to anything...and it needs a LOT of TLC. What he didn't know is: That's the point. The bike would do, maybe, 50 mph with me on it.

The plan is to get my 9 year old BOYS to do most of the work. If they feel they're a part of it, I'm hoping they'll treat it better.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Indeed. I suspect he thought he was getting rid of a headache as the shifter doesn't actually appear to be attached to anything...and it needs a LOT of TLC. What he didn't know is: That's the point. The bike would do, maybe, 50 mph with me on it.

The plan is to get my 9 year old BOYS to do most of the work. If they feel they're a part of it, I'm hoping they'll treat it better.
Sounds like the shift pawl spring broke. Either that or the pawl arm itself snapped. Either way not too major.

Robert

·
Registered
478 Posts
i know what you mean my old 750 paso ducati looks like a dinkey toy beside the lt
thats why i keep it on the other side of the shop (i dont want to give the little one a complex)

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scouter-50 said:
Sounds like the shift pawl spring broke. Either that or the pawl arm itself snapped. Either way not too major.

Robert
I'm not worried...I'm just amazed at how everything is still available for it. Granted, some of the stuff is CRAZY expensive (ignition cylinder + 4 keys = $300), which makes me happy the bike's mostly complete.

I'm trying to determine what does and does not have to be done and coming up with some nifty stuff from the Honda community, example: pull all of the oddball grease zerks (and there are a lot of them), then retap and replace with metric zerks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fpmlt said:
Or they'll do what I did to my first Honda back in 1962 - take a hacksaw to it!!! :histerica
Well, it CERTAINLY limits the amount of total expense I want to put into it. Still There's a life lesson in having them make something pretty....breaking it...then making it pretty again.

My proudest moment was hearing one of the boys, in my flippantly casual tone of voice say: "So fix it!"

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a new problem. I now have to split my allowance between two bikes. Do I buy a brake light switch, battery, seat cover, air cleaner, and chain for the Benly....or a rear tire for the LT?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts