BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2000LT with a burned out clutch. It only has 25K but according to the records it hasn't been serviced since 5K.

So I need to go through the whole bike and replace everything.

I'm making a list and think that I have just about everything on the list.

It's going to be a big job and I'm going to have to pace myself but I figure while I have everything apart I may as well dig in and get it done.

Take a look at my list and tell me what I've missed. I know there are no clutch items listed and the bike needs a clutch but I just thought that list would be built when I could get inside it and see what it needs.

Am I missing anything? I think I'm about 90%there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
hope you got it real cheap,, by the time you put all the cash required to get it up to where you will be happy with it, you may have bought one ready to ride with nothing to spend cheaper, it adds up pretty bloody quick. anyway good luck as for the list there will be some stuff you have over looked oil seals g/box and engine etc.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
OK, first question is, how much of the stuff on your list is actually in need of replacing? Speakers?

Here is a list I put together on everything you might need in doing the clutch. You might not need the pressure plate and cover but won't know that until you get the old ones out for inspection. It is a good idea to replace the slave cylinderwhen you do the clutch as the throw out bearing is embedded in the end of it. Some of the transmission seals are critical in placement or they leak and you have to pull it apart again. The 19x4 O-ring listed should actually be replaced with one made of Viton and not the stock part. A few people on this forum have them for the asking.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/146537-k1200lt-clutch-parts-list.html

Definitely brake lines ( Spiegler)

fuel filter

Inside tank lines if you are doing the filter. ( Euro Motoelectric )
EnDuraLast - K Fuel Pump Hose Kit

Refill the hydraulic adjuster on the rear shock before you rebuild if it is a stock shock. If it is after market, does it need a rebuild?

Have you found Kirks DIY videos? A must watch for all DIY'ers
https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/service/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes

Reactions: JaL3_SD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your new LT is 17 years old just like mine.....However my LT has been ridden & maintained every year.
Your LT is something of an unknown (low miles & no service records).

So....First things first.

I'd say that you should make sure She runs well, and fix the clutch. Then take care of the safety concerns (brake lines, replace old tires & renew / flush All the fluids)

Only after the basics are done would I worry about farkles and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts