BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Autocom system for several years and went to my dealer to purchase another headset and found out that they no longer selling the Autocom. I have done some internet research and have narrowed it down to the Scala or Sena. My needs are:

- Zumo 550, rider to passenger, phone capabilities.

The bluetooth is exciting, in that I can get rid of all the cables. Last request, where have you found the best price (need to save a few $$)?

Thank you to my fellow RT riders.....

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Great buy for Scala

I just ordered a set.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am using the AVi Pro 7 Autocom setup and am very, very happy with it. Prior I had the Scala Rider Teamset and it was OK for intercom.. Good for bluetooth to the Zumo (with the phone interface). But no stereo and always less volume than I wanted and no way to do "real" bike to bike- such as radio to radio. The result was no usability at highway speeds.

The newer bluetooth (i.e. Cardo Scala Rider) sets do stereo but you need to make your own confirmations on the actual hardware purchase.

I will stay with my Autocom set up because there is no bluetooth set up that will handle all that I have...

-Zumo with telephone and all my mp3 tunes-in stereo.
-AM/FM/Weather Radio
-Intercom
-Bike-to-Bike with Kenwood FRS/GMRS 2-way Radio and Push to Talk switch

-never have to recharge batteries.
-never have to spend countless hours on tech support calls to Cardo customer support and engineers (although they were nice, once you got their attention).

Good luck. If it were me, and all my Autocom set needed was a headset... I'd go for that. Just my personal preference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check out the Blue Ant Interphone system, which I have and used with another rider on a long distance trip last summer, in addition to regular use with my SO. Works great over long (line of sight) distance, waterproof, and both units charge on a single plug, plus they stay charged all day. I have also used it with my iphone for calls and music, though I don't like to do that on a regular basis, as it's much too distracting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have used the Scala 2 for a few years and recently upgraded to the Scala Q4.

The additional bluetooth is great.

I use an iPhone and a Zumo 660. All working well although havent tried both together.

I often ride with a pillion (Q2) and/or another bike (Q4) and it all works very easily.

Simple to install and the new USB connection is great. Also handy for updates.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another quick point...

We regularly do a 3 day trip riding 7-9 hours each day, and we talk just about non stop. The extra distance on the Q4 is very useful.

The Scala has only run out of steam once.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I also use the Scala Q4 for GPS (Nav IV) commands, cell phone, MP3 player (Nav IV) and FM radio (Scala). I am overall very pleased with the system. I sometimes have some sync issues with the Nav IV MP3 player (no other function seems to have issues), but cycling through the headset on/off, and MP3 on/off functions usually solves the problem. Since this is the ONLY issue I have I suspect it's more a function of the Nav IV system rather than a Scala issue.

Scala headset mounts easily to just about any helmet. I was concerned at first that it looked like there would be insufficient space for the unit with my flip face helmet, but attached just fine!

I also concur on strong battery life. I have had it only run out once during use on a 5-day trip. A few hours of charging through the 12 volt accessory outlet and it made it through the remainder of the trip.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
bmendenhall said:
I have had the Autocom system for several years and went to my dealer to purchase another headset and found out that they no longer selling the Autocom. I have done some internet research and have narrowed it down to the Scala or Sena. My needs are:

- Zumo 550, rider to passenger, phone capabilities.

The bluetooth is exciting, in that I can get rid of all the cables. Last request, where have you found the best price (need to save a few $$)?

Thank you to my fellow RT riders.....

You can get Sena @ rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have had the Blueant Interphone for 3 years now-no problems connecting with iPhone, Zumo 550. Mostly it allows me to talk with my wife easily. We rode 14,000 miles last summer, charges quickly in restaurants on long days, switches to solo riding for phone and GPS without any issues. It's also quite reasonable. The newer version Interphone 4 is stereo, which might be worth looking at.

They are for sale on ebay quite regularly, and should be able to pick a unit up for under $100. I couldn't wait to get rid of those cables snagging every time we got off the bike!

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts