BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This seems to say (on the final table) that "navigation commands to the helmet by wired or BT" exist with the BMW communication system, but wired only to Scala and others. The diagram seems to offer different info. Does this mean the navigation with only pair with BMW headset system??

·
Registered
530 Posts
mx125 said:
This seems to say (on the final table) that "navigation commands to the helmet by wired or BT" exist with the BMW communication system, but wired only to Scala and others. The diagram seems to offer different info. Does this mean the navigation with only pair with BMW headset system??
I am currently using the Nav 4 on my K1200LT with 2 J&M Bluetooth systems, a Scala 4, and a Nolan. They all pair with the Nav 4 in Bluetooth mode.
Here is another link.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/equipment/navigation/navigation_communication_main.html&notrack=1

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm trying to find out if the Nav 4 system is a Garmin 660 0r 665. I'm also trying to determine if I can get it cheepr directly from garmin. Any ideas

·
Registered
530 Posts
It will be cheaper from Garmin but you will lose the BMW features and some of the connectivity. It is a 660. Buy the Nav 4 there will be a cheaper version without the mount for the K1600's as they do not need the mount to be compatable.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fluffy
I will keep looking, so far no luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, now that I'm on my home PC and a bigger monitor, I can see that the BMW communicator can do more things and can be operated from the switch gear..

I bet it's more or less the same version as the Schuberth one, but with a different firmware... music for rider and passenger.. that's nice... The Schuberth unit is $400 for one communicator... :( Can't wait to find out how much they want for bmw version.

·
Registered
492 Posts
fluffy said:
Ok, now that I'm on my home PC and a bigger monitor, I can see that the BMW communicator can do more things and can be operated from the switch gear..

I bet it's more or less the same version as the Schuberth one, but with a different firmware... music for rider and passenger.. that's nice... The Schuberth unit is $400 for one communicator... :( Can't wait to find out how much they want for bmw version.
In the uk for the helmet shown in the picture a bmw system 6 with the intercom system its £680 pounds.
The setup is simular for the new rt so if you can get hold of a 2011 rt radio manual I think it will be simular as you can only use the thumb wheel with the new helmet system when connected via bluetooth.
If you connect with anything other than the bmw system it locks the wheel out.Can you get the system helmets over there I seem to remember reading on the site that the helmets wern't usa spec.

·
Registered
89 Posts
philh24 said:
Here is a link to the radio book that can be downloaded for the newer rt with the bluetooth function this might help explain how it all works.Change the model to rt and then click downloads and you will see the radio manual.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/index.html
Thanks for posting. On page 36 of the manual:

iPhone
An iPhone can be used as a playback source in the same way as an iPod. The telephone func- tions are deactivated while the iPhone is being used as a play- back source; a message to this effect might appear in the display of the iPhone.
That's not particularly good news for iPhone users.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
sfoster said:
That's not particularly good news for iPhone users.
Yeah, that sucks, actually. :^)

Maybe they figure we'll be too busy changing Sirius stations, programming the gps to find the nearest food and/or fuel, and adjusting the suspension and heated seats and heated grips to be chatting on the phone. :rolleyes:

I will get this fixed, one way or another. Even if it means putting my iPhone into a waterproof case and wiring it separately. Hmm, maybe I can use my old iPhone 3 as a music-only source.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Some things that I have noticed.
1. Some or much of this information may not apply to the US K1600.
2. The system 6 helmets are not yet DOT certified.
3. I-Phones will ring through the Nav 4 but I have not found a way to answer it yet.
(this keeps the LT a cell free zone)

·
Registered
112 Posts
fluffy said:
New Schuberth Bluetooth = Scala.

·
Registered
112 Posts
iride4u said:
I-Phones will ring through the Nav 4 but I have not found a way to answer it yet.
(this keeps the LT a cell free zone)
Humm, my iPhone works seamlessly with my Garmin 665. I use the Cardo Scala Bluetooth helmet system for phone, XM radio, weather and traffic alerts, and navigation prompts. No one believes it when I answer the phone and hold a conversation at 75mph on the interstate. No road noise at all.

Here's my question. Will the 1600 have Bluetooth separate from the Nav4 or will the helmet system mate to the Nav4? It's a real shame that the Nav4 is equivalent to the 660 (instead of 665) and therefore lacks satellite weather and traffic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well - it seems to me that I will use the Speaker out option - and use my AKE INNOVA - as on my LT. Then use the bluetooth dongles on the INNOVA - and the 201 bluetooth helm sets.
Then only us the radio/ipod music from the bike - connect the GPS to the INNOVA - by hard wire or use AKE PBM-H2 bluetooth dongle.
Bike2Bike will go through the INNOVA.

Cellphone will then go through the GPS system - and into the INNOVA.

Short version - ALL will be as it is today on the LT!

regards
STeinar

·
Registered
268 Posts
BMW will have to have a different solution for the US market since the System 6 helmet and its communicator are not sold here. I've be happy with a firmware upgrade for the Card G4 (Cardo builds the communicator for Schuberth / BMW helmets). The Cardo G4 has a USB input and can be hooked up to a computer for programming. Plus I can buy a pair of Cardo G4 for $350, versus $400 for just one bmw communicator.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts