BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 47k on the bike and unfortuntaley the throttle cable decided to break 25 mile N of Mexican Hat this weekend - :( Ruining what was a great 3 day bike trip.
Don't recall seeing this as being a "common" problem other wise I would have replaced the cables at 40k. I don't think the service manual recommends it a th 40k service either.
Other notes- rear drive that was just rebuilt by my local dealer is now leaking. Glad I have the extended warranty to cover this stuff.
As much as I love the LT this trip has really made me think about going to a simpler bike like the GS. Does anyone own one - or has owned one in the past? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties. If you haven't upgraded to the new style throttle cables, I believe the breaking was a common occurance, as was having a right forearm like Popeye. I had the cable break on me in while I was riding from Reno, NV, to Los Angeles. I managed to use the cruise control to go the next 200 miles. I would have gone further, but someone put a stop sign in the middle of nowhere and there happened to be another car at the intersection, so I had to stop and do my work around there.

The GS is a great bike, depending on what you want to do with it. You can do long touring on it, but you'll miss a few things from the LT, like cruise control, built in radio, and wind/weather protection. You can off road with it, but do realize that its a 600 pound monster and takes a lot of work to ride it off the pavement.

After the throttle cable upgrade and getting your rear drive leak fixed, I'd ride the LT for another 10k miles and see if it still "moves" me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey TBob...I had mine replaced on my 02 LTC under warrenty the first time around 24k miles due to problems they had with a real stiff throttle.

I just picked my LTC up from the dealer on saturday, with new trottle cables. At 123k miles, they were frayed (found while doing the 12k service and fixing the broken exhaust header bolts, also replaced at 24k).

Looks like 100k might be the magic number, for some of us at least.

One thing 4 sure, replace those plastic fuel QD's at 40k or you will get stranded.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New style? My bik is an 03 when did the new style take place.
I tried the cuise trick but it didn't work - rolled it down a big hill and tried to set it, nothing - :(
Yea not having cruise would suck. My buddies told me bigger windscreens are availible for the GS
I think I need to rent one for a day to see if my beat up arse can ride one for an extended period comfortably.
Thanks
Bob

tbarstow said:
Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties. If you haven't upgraded to the new style throttle cables, I believe the breaking was a common occurance, as was having a right forearm like Popeye. I had the cable break on me in while I was riding from Reno, NV, to Los Angeles. I managed to use the cruise control to go the next 200 miles. I would have gone further, but someone put a stop sign in the middle of nowhere and there happened to be another car at the intersection, so I had to stop and do my work around there.

The GS is a great bike, depending on what you want to do with it. You can do long touring on it, but you'll miss a few things from the LT, like cruise control, built in radio, and wind/weather protection. You can off road with it, but do realize that its a 600 pound monster and takes a lot of work to ride it off the pavement.

After the throttle cable upgrade and getting your rear drive leak fixed, I'd ride the LT for another 10k miles and see if it still "moves" me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the fuel line already broke on me on another ride. Rode is 15mile to the next town with gas gushing out of it like a geyser. Replace it with a barbed brass fitting.

ldbikin said:
Hey TBob...I had mine replaced on my 02 LTC under warrenty the first time around 24k miles due to problems they had with a real stiff throttle.

I just picked my LTC up from the dealer on saturday, with new trottle cables. At 123k miles, they were frayed (found while doing the 12k service and fixing the broken exhaust header bolts, also replaced at 24k).

Looks like 100k might be the magic number, for some of us at least.

One thing 4 sure, replace those plastic fuel QD's at 40k or you will get stranded.

·
Registered
272 Posts
:bmw:
TBob said:
I have 47k on the bike and unfortuntaley the throttle cable decided to break 25 mile N of Mexican Hat this weekend - :( Ruining what was a great 3 day bike trip.
Don't recall seeing this as being a "common" problem other wise I would have replaced the cables at 40k. I don't think the service manual recommends it a th 40k service either.
Other notes- rear drive that was just rebuilt by my local dealer is now leaking. Glad I have the extended warranty to cover this stuff.
As much as I love the LT this trip has really made me think about going to a simpler bike like the GS. Does anyone own one - or has owned one in the past? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Yes, mine broke on a trip to Santa Fe while riding with another couple on a full dress HD, you think I didn't get a LOT of good natured ribbing about that one????

The new cables will make a BIG difference!!

Good luck,

radar

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy that would have made it alot worse!! especially how much I don't like HD.

Thanks -

radar41 said:
:bmw:

Bob,

Yes, mine broke on a trip to Santa Fe while riding with another couple on a full dress HD, you think I didn't get a LOT of good natured ribbing about that one????

The new cables will make a BIG difference!!

Good luck,

radar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts