BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check the tab on the bottom of your right rider's footpeg plate and, if you've ever had an off-road tumble, there's a good chance it has snapped off, but is still held in place by the lower fairing screw. The crash bar does a great job of protecting the fairing from damage after on-road tumbles, but tipping on uneven surfaces (such as ruts) is likely to put pressure on the lower fairing and that tab is easy to snap off. No big deal just to leave it broken, but after replacing the plate once, I decided to look at repair options the second time.

Turns out that the tab can be TIG welded OK, but all the paint must be removed from the tab first (yes, the plate is painted), otherwise it will blister and blacken during welding and prevent a good bond.

Cost of new plate: £112 (P/N 46.71.7.682.134)

Cost of repair: £5 (actually the guy didn't want anything but I insisted on beer money).

OK, it's not beautiful, but how many people will ever notice?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
Repair

David,

By the looks of the wear on the foot peg - you are having way too much fun in the curves!!!!:)

Good idea for the repair.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Regarding your third attachment...along with the statement "but tipping on uneven surfaces (such as ruts)". Umm . . . just how far off road are you going David?! I see grass stuck up in your footpeg! :D

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is where the damage was done. I just kept heading up the track 'til the bike told me "No more". I like wild camping! :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts