BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of questions for those who may have been truckies ....

While I assume it varies state-to-state, what are the general rules for length of time a driver may be driving/in_control of a truck? I would suppose its something like... no more than X hours straight and no more than Y hours in any 24 hour period? What are X and Y "generally"? Are there any rules covering periods greater than 24 hours? e.g. can't do more than Z hours in a 48/72 hour period?

This is in reference to long-distance driving on Interstates etc. Not worried about local intra-state stuff with deliveries etc.

A final question set .... are these generally enforced by the police and if not, what do drivers regard as the practical restrictions/limitations on long-distance driving?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It is all very confusing. Their log book are checked at weigh station, and at audits by the DOT.

Basically...

- May drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty.

- May not drive beyond the 14th hour after coming on duty (assuming they didn't drive the 1st 3 hours, following 10 consecutive hours off duty.

- drivers using the sleeper berth provision must take at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, plus 2 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth, off duty, or any combination of the two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts