BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching as much as I could find, and despite my initial idea of getting a purely bluetooth setup, I finally came to my senses and to the conclusion that I'll be getting a Starcom1 Digital. I'll use the BT connection for my phone, but nothing beats the sound and the batterylessness of plugging in.

Having said so, my question is (since I've never ridden plugged-in) where does the helmet plug go? If it goes to the dash it will probably get tangled on the handlebars or something, I guess that on the saddle would be the best as the cable would go down without intruding in movements. Does the cable pull on the helmet? I'd appreciate some input from more seasoned plugged-in riders :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi Filipe,
here's one example (with an Autocom)... no drilling or cutting involved, it comes from under the seat on RH side next to the strut that holds the seat up when opened. Maybe not as fancy as some...
I used an extender cable (2 actually)to get the extra length I needed. Haven't had a problem with this setup in over 3 years. My partners cable just sits folded behind the back seat flap until needed.
I've just recently added the Bluetooth dongle so the phone now stays in my pocket... just in case we get seperated. :eek:

A weird thing with my phone (Nokia) though, as soon as the bluetooth connects it looks for music files on the phone to play (?%[email protected]&%$), if none there... it drops out. I made a 2 sec audio clip for it to find, which seems to keep it happy, it then cuts back to the bike's music (radio) and is fine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed and wonderfully illustrated reply!
Your setup seems simple and effective. One question, somewhere there is also a cable connecting to the radio stingray to get the audio to the autocom, or is there a connector somewhere else for that purpose?

thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Hard wired to the cables under the passenger seat. Should be detailed in the auto-comm instructions. This requires striping a few wire a little solder and heat shrink tape.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
As Dan just mentioned... ;)

With the Autocom they make a connector and switch (Part #1321), which you splice into the rear speaker wiring loom under the passenger seat. No hooking into the radio itself (so no pulling the stingray).
The Autocom instructions are here. (pdf)
If I remember correctly there was an issue with the original instructions whereby the LT wiring diagram didn't show some of the connections clearly (I think it was the +/- direction of the wires) and you had to refer to the diagrams for the RT on opposite page to make sense of it.
Anyway, possibly quite different for the Starcom, but this works on the LT. There were threads about it somewhere in the past.
I still managed to get L/R balance screwed up, which I only discovered by upgrading to the Active plus recently and finally getting stereo music to the earphones, rather than mono I had with the older Autocom.

One thing I did pull the stingray for was to add in an extra external audio input (AUX), the connector was on the radio rear, but not connected. Bought the part off Ebay, again there's threads about it. On later models the external input was added to the front of the radio.
Mind you, I've never used it yet.... maybe one day I'll get an Ipod... but then it would make more sense to get rid of the CD player. :rolleyes:
cheers

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts