BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those that doesn't have a problem with the OEM Comfort seat, 6'3" 205# 33" inseam. But I would like to use the raised position except it makes me feel as if I am pushed toward the tank. I feel a 1/2" shim inserted between the front hinge plate and seat would take it back to the original angle. I plan to use AZEC plus longer 6m screws.
Has anyone tried anything like this?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've thought the same thing. I'm a couple of inches taller and an inch or so on the inseam.

I'll have to look again, but, shimming should be relatively easy. I'm sure there is an aesthic factor with clearance to the seat, but, you've got that already.

If you try it, please take some pictures and post them :)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I had a problem with my crotch getting smashed on the stock seat.
Looking at it, the front is higher than the rear even in the high position.
I added 3/4" shim under the rear of the seat and couldn.t ride without it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
front higher than back?

I think mine is just the opposite.

I was thinking of a shim under the front of the seat. I'm always sliding my butt towards the back of the seat...

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made this mod today and it appears to work. The Azec is 3/8" and I do not feel the sliding toward the tank. There is a gap from the seat to the plastic but I think a skirt can be added to the bottom edge of the seat to close this. I should be doing 300 miles Tuesday and will know for sure then.
I really feel the 1/2" rise when stopped and flatfooted.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After 300 miles the mod is great! My butt didn't feel like it was moving to the tank and the extra 1/2" height is beneficial to me.
Cost: 5(6m x 25 screws) $4.00 and Azec free(leftover from construction). Time: about 1 hour and 1 adult beverage
I will be looking into what an upholsterer can do to close the gap between seat and tupperware.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Aris thread "raising the seat" has a link to his instructions for a power seat and the info to make a "skirt" to close the gap..............

·
Registered
163 Posts
What the heck is an AZEC?
bblalock said:
After 300 miles the mod is great! My butt didn't feel like it was moving to the tank and the extra 1/2" height is beneficial to me.
Cost: 5(6m x 25 screws) $4.00 and Azec free(leftover from construction). Time: about 1 hour and 1 adult beverage
I will be looking into what an upholsterer can do to close the gap between seat and tupperware.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I missed your question, and I might be mispelling it.

AZEC - white, plastic sheeting used in construction. It's easily cut and trimmed to shape. Can also be painted. Expensive though so leftover pieces should be saved. Mine is 3/8" and I've seen over 1/2" thick.

Rode another 300 miles and the butt still likes the mod.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks, Benton!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts