BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is the deal. My 19 year old son has a class that he is required to go to and I have to pick him up after it. I have gone and picked him up with my old 1982 Goldwing and he said he will never ride it again. Not because of the "two dudes on a bike" thing, but he said it was murder on the "Boys".
Now that I am getting an LT, how is the comfort for male riders on back?
His constant movement made the ride very difficult, so I could force him to ride, but I would suffer too.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Both of my sons have ridden as pillion, one 6'4", the other 6'8" and haven't complained about the seat only that it is a bit cramped for long legs after about 50 miles or so. Not sure what your son's complaints were, so can't really answer the question.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My 20 year old son (at the time) road pillion for a photo shoot of a bicycle race he was covering for a newspaper. He is about 6ft, and seemed to have plenty of room to work and no mention of 'boys' discomfort.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Perhaps it's time to have a doctor look at your boy's boys? :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the early GW's are not like the late ones. I had to move the trunk back 4 inches just to make room for my 125lb Daughter. These early bikes are no fun for the back seat rider. They got a bit better in 83, then again in 84, and a lot better in 88 when they went to the 1500. I also have a Travelcade seat, great for front rider, not so much for rear.
So, good to know the LT will work. I should be getting my new to me 2000 on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This bike is comfortable for any passenger I've found. Kids, adults. I think the Germans made sure the pillion was more comfortable than the driver area.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Well to be real candid, I always pull the boys up to the front row when I start a ride.
It can get a little crowded when they set back by the rear exit.:histerica

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well to be real candid, I always pull the boys up to the front row when I start a ride.
It can get a little crowded when they set back by the rear exit.:histerica
+1, Squash is great in a court, not so much on the bike. :D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've got 3 x 25+ year old, 6ft+ sons, all have been on the back of the LT numerous times (but never at the same time... lol) and none have ever made a comment about discomfort of any kind, mind you they are all on the skinny side ;). I've got a backup backrest on too... could be a real ball-killer in a panic stop... but no dramas to date.

·
Registered
438 Posts
well, Dudes........ I've read a lot of complaints about rider seat discomfort here on the forum, but I've Never read anything about passenger seat discomfort.
I'd venture to say you'd have to look long & hard to find Any Pax seat complaints.

Now the Bike that I had Before the LT was a 1981 GL1100 Goldwing,
And good gawd was that bike uncomfortable. Both for Me and my passenger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never seen a guy in the backseat but I did see one woman with her own LT had never seen that before either but come to think of it she kind of did look like a dude

·
Registered
832 Posts
lt skirt1[1].jpg
I've never seen a guy in the backseat but I did see one woman with her own LT had never seen that before either but come to think of it she kind of did look like a dude

1 - 12 of 12 Posts